2001 Escape Cylinder Head(s) Removal - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 14:20   #1 (permalink)

2001 Escape Cylinder Head(s) Removal

Hello all I am new to this forum and Fords for that matter and need some advice please. I have just purchased an 01 Escape XLT as a project learning car for my 16 yr old son to learn some mechanics. It was bought knowing it overheated due to radiator failure (but still runs) and blown a head gasket. I have removed the culprit radiator but am now perplexed at how to remove the cylinder head (closest to fire wall) without a total engine removal. Is this possible? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Tom B
Fordy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2011, 20:37   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2001 Escape Cylinder Head(s) Removal

The lower part of this has the 3.0. I'm guessing that's what engine it has. | Repair Guides | Engine Mechanical Components | Cylinder Head | AutoZone.com
Old 07-17-2011, 05:49   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Bert for the link. Sorry I did not mention the engine type. Yes it is the 3.0L V6. The way I am reading the procedure is that it is possibe to remove without engine removal but all it's saying " remove: exhaust manifold". That's where I am having my issue. I can remove the lower portion of the exhaust manifold (fire wall side) but not right at the head itself. I can't get my hands back there. Will that pull out from the top if I do that?
Tom B
Old 07-17-2011, 07:33   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'm not sure which way it pulls out but most FWD cars are tough to get at that manifold.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:11   #5 (permalink)

Spoke to a Ford Tech today and was told the heads can be removed (although very difficult) without removing the engine. As I thought the left bank exhaust manifold needs to be disconnected at the lower catalytic flange and pulled out from the top and then removed from the head once out. The other tricky stuff is removing the timing chain and pulley's on the front of the engine.
Old 08-08-2011, 13:15   #6 (permalink)

Loads of info here:
Tech Tip: Timing Chain Service on Ford 3.0L Duratec Engines

tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 13:26   #7 (permalink)

Double post...

Last edited by tomw; 08-09-2011 at 08:52. Reason: ditto
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 17:01   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Tomw. Sorry I did not reply sooner but I have purchased a shop manual from ebay and explains it pretty well. Now at least I know when looking at the front engine cover the left cylinders are on the right side and right on the left. I guess this is because if sitting in the car and the engine were not transverse mounted then the passenger side is the right and the driver side is the left. Now the engine is rotated 90° clockwise and this makes it what it is. Weird! I have not yet gotten the heads off. Only because it is too fricking hot right now (east Texas - over 100° for a month now). Next step is taking the front engine cover and timing chains off when it cools a bit.
Old 08-31-2011, 19:03   #9 (permalink)

Finally got the heads off... What a pain in the ass that was! Now don't get me wrong I have not been working on it straight on just occasionally because it's been so hot here in Texas lately (100+ for months now!). And yes, the right bank head can be removed with the exhaust manifold attached. Probably the hardest portion was the alternator/bracket detachment (removal from the car requires the passenger side drive shaft removed).
I have a new question... should the water pump be replaced? Even though this was not the reason the engine overheated. I am about to start purchasing the replacement parts.
Old 09-29-2011, 15:09   #10 (permalink)

Ok it's time to report back....I have completed the rebuild of the top end. That is magnaflux and resurfaced the heads (they were OK) and valve job and put it back together with a new top end gasket set. Replaced the radiator, hoses and thermostat. Fired it up and it runs fine except when in park (engine is at temp) and I step on the throttle it takes it a bit of time (approx 3-4 sec) to return to idle - just kind of hangs. I am new to Fords so maybe it's normal. Is it? If not, why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum