Ford Forums banner

2001 escape v6 3.0l ticking noise topend

14K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  CatSkinner 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Ford Escape V6 3.0L Duratec engine. I was on my way to work when my suv stalled. When I started it back up it had a ticking noise on the top end. I took it to a local Mechanic and they told me it might be the timing chain. I will know more on Monday but if it turns out to be the timing chain they quoted me $1,500! Is that to much for parts and labor? I love my escape but I have been through the ringer with this thing. It sounds like a noisy valve to me... someone please help.

#2 ·
In excellent condition, you're Escape is probably worth $2000 - 2500, depending on options. If it's stock from the factory, they made more. As far as the noise, without doing a compression test, or pulling the valve cover, it's hard to tell. How mechanical are you?

#4 ·
thank you for the replys. I just got it back from the mechanic and they found the timing chain to be in good condition. They replaced one side of the hydraulic lifters and rod/end cap main bearings. The noise got better but is still there. I also looked up the TSB and mentioned it to the mechanic for a possible fix. Sad to say it was not the TSB. The mechanic said he thinks its coming from cylinder #4 possible pistion/rod pin. Could that be the cause of a ticking noise? I would think that would make a knock not a tick?.... As far as my skills I have rebuilt a 1970 Datsun/Nisan 240Z from the bottom up. Some of these newer engines are a whole different animal. Plus I don't have the space, time or proper tools for a big job. I can do basic stuff but when it comes to jobs that may take more then a weekend I have to call a mechanic. 2,200 dollars ouch..... that's not very much for the money I have dumped into this thing. Right when I started to think all my friends were wrong about Fords this crap happens.....:BW:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.