2002 Escape electrical - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 14:37   #1 (permalink)

2002 Escape electrical

I have a 2002 Ford Escape. The battery went dead so I took it in and had it checked. It was bad. I bought a new one and installed it. Everything worked great. The next day I went out to start it and it was dead. I jumped it and it ran perfect. I thought maybe alternator. I removed the cable from the positive battery post and it keeps running as it should. This tells me the alternator is not the problem. I drove it a little while and it would start back with no problem. The next morning... DEAD. Now I noticed the radio is acting funny. When I turn the ignition off it stays on. It doesn't have the function to stay on till the door is opened. Then I noticed that after I turn the key off the PRND21 indicator with the mileage is still shown on the dash too. I guessed that the ignition switch was the problem. I unhooked both plugs going into the ignition switch and the radio and mileage readout still stay on. I am out of ideas now. What else can I check?
wkellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 07:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2002 Escape electrical

Frankly, I don't know why it stayed running with the battery disconnected. Before the vehicles had computers, that would happen but I always thought that can't now because everything is powered from the 12V battery. I could very well be wrong too.

Your PCM has KAL(Keep Alive Memory) that's always powered but the battery must be connected. That's why they sell these adapters that keep the PCM powered when you replace the 12V battey, I have one that uses the OBD-II port. I've had a battery short out, radio went crazy, power door locks were cycling, etc.

You may have fried your PCM!

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:46   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 2002 Escape electrical

Agree with "wptski ", pulling off leads was something we often did many years ago , even swapping over batteries that way , but would never consider doing it now with the electrics / ecu's on todays cars .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum