2002 Ford Escape Maintenance - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 14:53   #1 (permalink)

2002 Ford Escape Maintenance

Alright, so I own a 2002 ford escape, and it has 189,000 original miles on it. I am wondering what types of maintenance I should be doing on this (I am not the original owner)

so far, I have done this to it:

Replaced EGR valve and sensor, replaced upper and lower PCV hose and PCV valve, replaced power steering pump (was leaking)

I am having a few problems now and wondering what some solutions could be.

When I first got it, it was quiet and smooth running, even at idle. Over the last month or so it's gotten rougher, but still idles nice (It stays at around 500-800 rpms without fluctuating). What I mean by rougher, is that it appears a bit louder now, and you can feel a vibration in the floor really bad, esp at idle or when accelerating. Not sure what it is, but it just started doing it within the last month or so.

Also, there is what sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere near where the upper pcv hose goes into the plenum It's not the hose, as I replaced the entire assembly and it's still there. Perhaps an intake manifold leak? (Which could probably also cause the vibration in the floor too). It's a constant sound like air is escaping out constantly, not something that's variable.

One last thing, there is a clunking noise in the front driver side of my truck. I hear most noticeable when it's off a cold start, but whenever I go over a bump or dip in the road, I hear it. It sounds like two pieces of metal clinking together, and sometimes when it's light it sounds like a rattling sound. It seems to be wearing out my tire on that wheel, too as the truck is now pulling a little to the left. Any idea what it could be ?
ex0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 17:44   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 2002 Ford Escape Maintenance

Loudness: feel along the top of the exhaust, probably has a leak. The resonator opened up on our Pontiac when I had to make a flying trip to Southern Ohio from the Saratoga region of NY last fall, damn near drove me crazy.

Vacuum leak: could try a smoke test while the fans aren't running, but for it's age, might want to replace all vacuum lines, plugs, and seals.

Many things go into the alignment of the front end, get the front end up in the air and start checking for looseness. If you aren't sure of yourself, get it to a reliable mechanic, that's not something you want to fool with.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:17   #3 (permalink)

What I plan to do over the next few weeks is the following:

completely remove the intake and exhaust manifolds and replace all the gaskets for each, and while I am at it, replace the spark plugs. Not sure what exactly the seals are you are referring to, I am guessing the valve seals? Not sure how to replace them, but if it's not too difficult I will do those, too.
Old 01-05-2013, 13:54   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Nope, any vacuum line that attaches itself to the intake manifold or valves covers are going to have some sort of rubber seal (i.e., pcv). The rubber will dry rot and create one heck of a vacuum leak.
Old 01-07-2013, 16:06   #5 (permalink)

Gotcha. From what I seen it looks like there is a metal lip that the hoses connect to in all the places. Where can I get the new seals for those at?

I am also going to look at replacing the o-rings on the fuel injectors and also using some wd40 to clean them out, too.

On my truck, where are the exhaust manifolds? It looks like one is on the back and one is on the front, but from what i've read they are on the driver and passenger side of the block?
Old 01-08-2013, 16:59   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

You have a transverse engine, meaning the fron of the engine is not behind the radiator, but facing one of the fenders (depending on make and model). You exhaust manifolds are near the radiator and firewall. For cleaning the injectors I'd recommend a carb cleaner, instead. WD-40 may leave a residue. For the vacuum system, generally Advanced, Auto Zone, NAPA, and just about any other parts store should have them.
Old 01-25-2013, 19:51   #7 (permalink)

The front end clunk is probably the sway bar link. Very common problem on the Escapes. Reach behind the tire and grab the sway bar. Have a friend rock the car sideways. If the sway bar is bad, you'll be able to tell. If not sure, try the other side, to see if there is a difference.
On my 2002, I also replaced one of the lower control arms. One of the bushings went bad (rear bushing, I think), and the metal part of the control was banging on the frame/body.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum