2003 Escape Battery Draining - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 11:47   #1 (permalink)

2003 Escape Battery Draining

I have a 2003 Escape that the battery now drains down over night. Its not the battery as I have put 2 new ones in. Its not the charging system, as if I jump start it and give 10-15 minutes, the battery is charged enough to start it back up.

I have a 2008 Escape also, I put my amp meter inline on it and it shows 70-80 (milliamps) , I did the same on the 2003, I got 140-150... higher but I doubt not enough to drain it over night.

About 2 months ago, I swapped the 6-cd changer for a 1-cd/with cass. I thought that might be it, so I swapped it back ... the problem is still there.

Any ideas on how to find the problem?

Thanks in advance,
ajcccmc
ajccmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 16:37   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 2003 Escape Battery Draining

Electrical gremlins are hard to pinpoint. What I would do, is a bit of a PITA, but should help you narrow down the problem is to remove a couple of fuses each night and then replace them the following morning before you start the vehicle. If the vehicle starts fine and the voltmeter is at or above 14V (you can check this with a multimeter directly on the battery contacts), then you have to narrow it down more to which one of those fuses is the culprit. Keep in mind, one fuse might run several items in the vehicle.

Be sure, if you have any 12V accessories plugged into the vehicle, that they are all removed. Make sure the fan is set to OFF and the radio is OFF (radio shouldn't drain battery if left on low with the vehicle off overnight, but one never knows!). By narrowing down the circuits you should easily enough pinpoint the problem area.

Also, make sure all wiring under the hood is properly connected and no wires are exposed, either from loose connection (someone tried to pull a connector apart and forgot to depress the safety lock!), or a failed, melted wire that's grounding out.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum