2004 Escape Stalls then dies - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2006, 06:52   #1 (permalink)

Question 2004 Escape Stalls then dies

Hello,

so I a having a major problem and the dealership can't fix it.. It's been 1 year that my 2004 Ford Escape started with the problem. It's been progressing and now pretty much everytime I am on Idle it stalls and dies... You can even see the rpms' going up and down before it looses complete power.
I've taken it to the dealership around 4 or 5 times in the past year and nothing, they replace the Idle Air Control Valve but the problem didn't stop.
I've been told many times that they can't figure out the problem because the service engine light it's not on... I kept a log the past 2 or 3 weeks and called Customer Care at the Ford to compain... The Mid-Atlantic Rep called me and wanted me to set another appointment to take my car, which I did, I took it yesterday.. when I spoke to them at the end of the day they said the car did not act up... I think that's a bunch of BS because it happens to me almost every time I drive.. I just don't think they are testing it the way the should.. I gave them my log and it's not possible that they can't see how the RPM's go up and down and it shouldn't do that on IDLE.. It stalls then dies while in PARK yet it has done it a couple of times while in "Drive" at a red light..
Anybody have any ideas..? thanks
darlasofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2006, 19:10   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: 2004 Escape Stalls then dies

If there is a problem with the fuel system then the light may not come on. Sounds to me like either a clogged fuel filter or maybe a failing fuel pump. The dealership I work at will not give the vehicle back to the customer until it's fixed right!

If I was the tech, then I would hook a fuel pressure guage to the fuel rail and monitor the pressure as I drive. I can also see the pressure with the Ford diagnostic tools all dealers have, if no valve is on the rail like some newer Fords. If the pressure is dropping as the car is stalling, then I know what to fix!

Techs also have a tool that you can plug into the Diag connector and it acts like a "Black Box" on an airplane. When it finally acts up, then you press the button. The tool will store all system info from 10 seconds before the button was pushed. Take the tool out and hook it to the computer for a proper diag.

I said this before and I say it again.........................

That really pisses me off when a Dealership says "We can't find a problem" or "We can't fix it" or similar. Ford techs have top of the line diagnostics, a website, manuals, scanners, and a tech "Hotline" for help on a repair. If the problem is verified, but cannot be figured out, then we call in an Engineer from the region to come on over and help the tech find the problem.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:13   #3 (permalink)

Thank you so much... they did install a "black box" yesterday and my car did act up when I got home. Then this morning the Service engine light was one so I called the manager of service at the Ford right away and he told me to bring it in so they can download the recordings.. I wasn't sure if I had recorded anything important or not but when I was on my way I stopped at the gast station and my car stalled then died so I turned it back on and it did it several more times so I recorded new "events".. They unplugged the "box" this morning and are going to call me if they found anything. If they didn't I have to stop by after work so they can plug it back in for me to record more events.. I had even told the service people to check the fuel system and they said they did but that everything was fine.. I'm sorry but I don't believe that, they had my car for 2 1/2 days and it didn't act up, as soon as I get it back then it dies on me.. I honestly don't think they are testing it the proper way, I even told them what to do and nothing.. I hope this is it and they can fix it... I can't afford for my warranty to run out before they fix it and then I'm screwed.
Thanks so much for your input...
Old 10-17-2006, 15:23   #4 (permalink)

Lightbulb Re: 2004 Escape Stalls then dies

According to this link
Ford Escape review, what to look for buying a used Ford Escape, maintenance tips and more.

"- If your car stalls unexpectedly, visit your dealer, there is an engine computer software update available to address this problem."
SeasideBru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:26   #5 (permalink)

Read Re: 2004 Escape Stalls then dies

I'm still having the same problem, nothing has changed on the contrary is getting worst. Now it stalls and dies on "D" which worries me a lot, I can't be driving like this. The FORD keeps telling me nothing is wrong with it and Custome Care even told me to seek a second opinion if I so desired. Why do I have to do that?? the car is still under warranty why should I "the customer" have to seek a second opinion.. I don't care if they have to take the car apart until they can duplicate the problem.

I sent a certified letter today to the General Manager at the dealership. I waiting to hear from a couple of lawyers because if I get in an accident, or get harmed in any way because FORD can't duplicate my problem, I'm making them responsible for it.

If they don't do anything after that then I give up, there is nothing else for me to do.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:06   #6 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Why is it so hard to find good techs anymore? I have about 20 customers that come to our dealer that request only I fix thier vehicle. I guess it's a good thing, but I getting overwhelmed.

I am sorry to hear about your problems on a vehicle covered by warranty. You need to complain more to someone higher up the chain. You tell them to fix it right and don't deliver it until it is fixed right! Also have them supply a loaner.

Or take it to a different dealer.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:35   #7 (permalink)

Read Re: 2004 Escape Stalls then dies

You have no idea how frustrated I am. I got attitude from one of the service advisors this morning and I even had to raise my voice. I called him on my way to tell him that I wanted HIM and a TECHNICIAN waiting for me in case my car acted up. Well he wasn't waiting for me but I send the valet parking guy to get him because I wanting him to be there when I put my car in "P".
So he came out and stood like 3 ft from my car with a face and attitude and said "NOW WHAT?" Now you wait a couple of minutes so you can see... and yes after 20 or so seconds my car shut down. I told him "did you see that"? and he was like: YOU just turned it off and I said I DIDN'T.. he accuse me a couple of more times that I had turned it off.. I said NO look at the ignition the key is still in the open position.. I was pissed by this time, he was calling me a liar... I don't think so.
He got in my car and asked me if it only does it on "P" and I said NO, it has done it on "D" several times. Then proceded to go back to his desk. He was still talking to me with balls, pardon my language. I did get a loaner but the girl at the rental car didn't have a car ready for me because nobody told her I was going. Vince the service advisor didn't tell her so they put me in a minivan, yeah a car is a car but the fact that he didn't tell her pisses me off.
I don't know if they are trying to aggravate me or what but I'm not taking the shitty attitude, yes I am a girl but I can open my mouth.

And no I called FORD and since the dealerships are independently owned I would probably have to pay for any "con*****tion" fees unless my problem is duplicated. I just don't like RUDE people, I am the customer and I may not be right all the time but do not call me a liar.
Old 11-30-2006, 16:46   #8 (permalink)

well they had my car for 3 weeks and yes I got a loaner. They told me they did all sorts of tests to it. They replaced the Mass Airflow sensor, I picked it up last night and so far so good. At least the rpm's aren't going up and down anymore. I hope this is it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum