2004 ford escape starts then stalls - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 05:48   #1 (permalink)

2004 ford escape starts then stalls

for the past four months my escape has trouble starting back up after i make several quick trips around town. first time started right back up. second time took over an hour, took to shop, they found nothing, second time had it towed and replaced maf sensor, third time had towed again replaced fuel pump, fourth time started up after 15 min, took back to shop, they had it for five days, started every time and did five scans and found nothing. such a mess. hate to make any unnecessary trips.
edina01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 10:43   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2004 ford escape starts then stalls

You didn't mention the IAC. I would check that. A faulty IAC will cause the engine to stall.
Four_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 14:04   #3 (permalink)
canuck

How's it been running now?
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:26   #4 (permalink)

its been about two months, came home from work, ten minutes later car would stall again, tried for over an hour and gave up. started right away next morning. going to have the dealer check out the iac valve. don't want to trade it in.
Old 07-31-2010, 20:39   #5 (permalink)

If yours is a V6, then the IAC is in plain sight on top of the intake manifold.
You could remove & clean it; reinstall w a new gasket. Or go ahead & replace it.... cleaning is usually a temporary fix.

If you do an internet search for Ford Escape IAC, you can probably find a bunch of pics.
hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 15:31   #6 (permalink)

took car to dealer for inspection and explained previous start problem. needed new muffler and they said the fuel pump i had a mechanic replace two months ago was cracked. car has been leaking gas. replaced again. picked car up yesterday, drove to work, on the way home it totally died, alternator went. they say it probably isn't my initial problem.. can't determine why it had intermittent starting problems bc the diagnostic scan determined no problems. figures since i just made the last payment only have 50k miles. time for a trade in but not ford.
Old 08-11-2010, 15:51   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Take it back to the dealer and tell them you want to talk to the service manager about the problem not being fixed. If you're going to find something problem free, you're going to be looking a long time. That's why all brands have service departments.
Old 08-12-2010, 14:31   #8 (permalink)

thanks. it did go back to the dealer, the service manager was very helpful.. replaced the alternator and had them put a new battery in, just to be on the safe side,, my third in 50k miles.. drove it around today with no problems..we will see if i have stalling problems after this, if i do, time for a trade in.
Old 08-12-2010, 14:36   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Let's hope it's fixed. Keep us posted.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum