2005 Escape --- Bumping ride and weird grinding sound going uphill - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 13:23   #1 (permalink)

2005 Escape --- Bumping ride and weird grinding sound going uphill

For about the last few weeks, I've heard an occassional weird sound that seems to come from the center of the car. It "seems" to maybe happen when I turn my wheel.

It also seems to have a bumpy "bounce" when I excelerate, like I'm driving over a slightly bumpy road.

Today, I went uphill and the noise was pretty loud. A grinding type of sound.

I got 2 new tires fairly recently and got an alignment with that, so I don't "think" it could be an alignment issue. It has about 175K miles on it.

Any ideas?
SoCal5432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 04:55   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 2005 Escape --- Bumping ride and weird grinding sound going uphill

Hard to tell without hearing , possibly exhaust mounting , exhaust hitting , exhaust heat shield loose and rattling ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 14:26   #3 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

I'd get it up in the air and do some tugging, pulling, and rotating to see if you can narrow it down. In my experience, grinding noises are never good.
Old 03-26-2013, 19:50   #4 (permalink)

Does this make sense? I got this advice online.

You have a front wheel drive vehicle. It sounds like your motor mounts might be bad. I have ran across cars with the same problem. What happens is when the mounts get bad the engine will shift backwards cause a vibration noise on the exhaust pipe. Also I would check you front CV axles. The CV axle can cause vibration too. Ways to check yourself: Open hood, have someone start car, hold brake down, put into drive, now holding the brake thrust the gas pedal up and down. Watch the engine and see if it is moving a lot. If so bad motor mounts. To check the axles you can drive circles in a parking lot and see if you hear any clicking our feel vibration. Left and right.
Old 03-26-2013, 19:52   #5 (permalink)

I'm taking it in next week, I just want to get an "idea" of what the costs could be. I want to tell them specifically what to look for instead of given them a blank slate to pile on repairs that I might not need.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:15   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

If your engine mountings are badly worn or split you usually get the power unit " kicking " when taking up the drive or changing gear ." CV axles " is not a term we use .I assume he is referring to the constant velocity joints on the driveshafts which will click on full lock if badly worn .You can also check by grasping joint and shaft and seeing if any excessive play .
Old 03-27-2013, 05:39   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

Just watch with " I want to tell them specifically what to look for " .Mechanics can be touchy when customers tell them what a friend or someone on a forum told them could be the trouble and if you tie them down to certain limits ,often they wont look any further .Get an estimate before any work carried out if worried about them going overboard .
Old 03-27-2013, 08:35   #8 (permalink)

Yeah that's true. I called to get a price on mounts. He said there's 2 and it would be between $600-700.

I think I'll take it in and not mention that I called. And let them diagnose it. After reading some other forums, it really does sound like a mount issue with the "kicking" ----

I'm definitely not driving it up any more hills until it's fixed. I can't imagine what it would be like if the engine dropped, although I guess that would be pretty rare.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:36   #9 (permalink)

BTW, I was taking it to a dealer. Do you think I should pursue other less expensive places? I just always feel safer with a dealer. I don't know how complicated this repair is or if a place like STS could do it.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:37   #10 (permalink)
Moderators

Dont know who STS is but if it's a tyre / exhaust centre and they are like the places over here , I wouldn't let them work on a bike , never mind my car .A good independant garage will do the repairs a lot cheaper than a dealer , just finding one nowadays can be hard .Not a major job fitting mountings IF that's the fault ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum