2005 Escape Need New PCM - Is It Worth It/ - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 18:42   #1 (permalink)

Question 2005 Escape Need New PCM - Is It Worth It/

I've done a lot of research and it seems like the 2005 Escape has bad luck with the PCM. After spending $1500 on most likely unnecessary repairs, the Ford dealer finally told me I needed a new PCM costing $2000. Kelley Blue Book values the car at $5,500 and I spent $1000 on new breaks and flex pipe 6 months ago. I know I need the PCM, but I haven't seen or read any reactions to what happens once it is replaced. Is it worth making these repairs? My car has 111K miles on it, bought it used in 2008 w/ 75K on it. I was told by the shop it is at now that it will need more repairs down the road coasting about another $1500. I own it outright. That is the only good news.

If you replaced your PCM, did your car last for a couple more years or did it need more repairs shortly thereafter? Basically, is it worth putting in more $$???
Miz_Escape05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2011, 23:38   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: 2005 Escape Need New PCM - Is It Worth It/

A new PCM should last for a good period of time. If it was me then I would try for a used PCM from a wrecker if you can find one for a good price and provided they can gaurantee it is in useable condition.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:44   #3 (permalink)

I've had 3 different people tell me I need a new one and that Ford makes it so that it's pretty difficult to buy a used one if at all. All three said they had to order from Ford brand new at $740... plus 5 coils and labor bringing it to $2000... :( Any advice on where I can get a used one?
Miz_Escape05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 16:29   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz_Escape05 View Post
I've had 3 different people tell me I need a new one and that Ford makes it so that it's pretty difficult to buy a used one if at all. All three said they had to order from Ford brand new at $740... plus 5 coils and labor bringing it to $2000... :( Any advice on where I can get a used one?
Might come in a Ford box but that's about it. Companies that make parts for Ford package Service Parts in Ford boxes. That's pretty common.

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum