2005 Escape Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2006, 10:51   #1 (permalink)
OlDawg7

2005 Escape Problems

I just want to know how many Ford Escape Owners out there have had to replace their transmission. I've had my 2005 Ford Escape XLT for 22 months now and it's already at the Ford dealership in Germany for a failed transmission problem. I have to wait one month for a new one to arrive from the states. I hope and pray that the new one that arrives was not built on a Monday or a Friday so that I will not have to worry about anything but insurgents in Iraq.
OlDawg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006, 13:06   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: 2005 Escape Problems

I work at a Ford dealer here in the USA and we have not replaced any I know of on an Escape.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 13:55   #3 (permalink)

I just purchased a 2005 ford escape xlt 4wd. less than 24 fours after taking it home from the dealership, it was jerking worward. mostly when i was traveling at about 40 mph or so. it seemed like the overdrive was switching on and off constantly or possibly the center clutch for the 4wd was engaging over and over. i broght it back and the dealership said that the tranny fluid was very dirty. they flushed the system out completely and it seems ok now for the passed few weeks. but why would a 2 yr old vehicle have filthy tranny fluid? makes me nervous every time i drive now.
Michalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:13   #4 (permalink)

Just overhauled trans. of 05 escape at 75k miles.

It seems that my problem which started as a delay in shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear or some might call it a "rpm flare" when shifting was a rather simple problem. By simple i don't mean cheap.
I'll try and be more specific if it will help someone else with this diagnosis.
Under steady gradual exceleration when my escape was shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear i would get a slight increase in RPM as it shifted. One might call it a rough shift. Under heavy exceleration it wasn't nearly as noticable. Diagnostics showed no error codes. line pressures could be found to be both high (out of spec.) and also low (below specs.) After taking it to A ford dealer I was told that they couldn't specifically identify the problem. We can "try" to overhaul it but we can't guarantee that will fix it. "We recommend a remanufactured transmission.
Well, not a good answer. Any Mechanic thats good will tell you "All problems can me identified" and 2 any good transmission guy will tell you if all the parts are there to begin with "any transmission can be overhauled".
The solution: First i found a quality transmission guy, private shop "30 years in the business of transmissions only". After a complete tear down for re-build a broken spring was found on what is called the intermediate shift piston. Also when they did there research they found that there was also a issue with the original shift Solenoid design. no recall, however the replacement part differs from the original. the two issues may or may not be related however one "cheap" spring failure caused an overhaul to identify and correct the problem. It runs great now like new again. shifts smooth as silk.
Also a few months back i learned to also keep a close eye on tire wear and make sure you rotate your tires on the Escape 4x4.
The computer and the "smart track" 4x4 system is somewhat sensative.
If tire wear becomes too great of a difference between front and rear the computer occasionally will detect tire slippage when there is none and signal to activate the 4 wheel drive. This may feel like a "kick in the rear" when it happens. I tossed on 4 new tires and presto. never felt the "kick" again.
Hope this helps someone else.
rodryr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:40   #5 (permalink)

Oooo good to know about the tires matching up. I know that can cause directional instability but I never thought about it hurting the drivetrain.
classicjetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 14:56   #6 (permalink)

I have a 2005 ford escape i have had it for about 2.5 years. i have really not had any trouble with it until now. i need to replace the IAC valve and i am having a hard time finding it on the motor. If anyone knows where it is I would appreciate a reply ASAP.

P.S. I know next to nothing about cars
mjwrightrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 17:11   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwrightrn View Post
I have a 2005 ford escape i have had it for about 2.5 years. i have really not had any trouble with it until now. i need to replace the IAC valve and i am having a hard time finding it on the motor. If anyone knows where it is I would appreciate a reply ASAP.

P.S. I know next to nothing about cars
Check your other post.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:26   #8 (permalink)

82,000 miles and transmission is as smooth and trouble-free as the day I drove it home. Hope your replacement trans works out better for you.
k9byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum