2005 Escape Shock Mount Rusted Out - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 08:33   #1 (permalink)

2005 Escape Shock Mount Rusted Out

The right rear fender well has rusted out, you can see into the interior storage compartment. And the rust crack continues up and around the upper shock mount allowing it to move/flex. Making for a loud banging noise in the cabin. Any ideas for a quick and easy solution?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Escape Shock 2.jpg (116.6 KB, 63 views)
RonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 08:41   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2005 Escape Shock Mount Rusted Out

That was possibly repaired from an accident. It's VERY unusual for something like that to happen. If it hasn't been repaired, see your dealer so they can be advised.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:50   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

^ x 2 . Terrible rust / corrosion for that year of vehicle .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:12   #4 (permalink)

It's not a repair from an accident, it only 7 years old and 115,000 miles. Well past the warranty, I don't think a dealer/Ford will cover it. Just Michigan winter roads I'm guessing.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:27   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That still is unusual. The Windstar has a recall for rust on the suspension. I'd still have a factory rep inspect it. Have you had it since new? I'm originally from Michigan and the left sides rust more because the pour the stuff in the center of the road and it runs outward.
Old 02-01-2012, 15:42   #6 (permalink)

I've contacted my dealership and salesman, and they have no secret recalls. I'm waiting for him to give the factory rep's phone number. However I did go to the Ford website and left them an email stating that this is a safety issue and it needs to be address. Also, our Q.C. manager at drives a 2005 Escape, we looked at his right rear fender well, and it's doing the same thing. I contacted a couple of bodyshops in the area. They could quote me the two parts needed and the 15 hours it takes to repair the shock mount, because they have done a few. They also said that this problem is common on 2004, 2005, & 2006 models. The 15 hours is that the repair is from the outside and the inside, removing the interior trim and laying welding blankets down, so they don't burn the vehicle up. I sure hope Ford can fix it for me, or at least help pay for most of the repair.
Old 02-01-2012, 17:04   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Keep us informed. We don't have rust problems here, so I'm not familiar with that problem. If it is happening, Ford needs to know about it and get it fixed.
Old 03-13-2012, 22:07   #8 (permalink)

I have the exact same problem - 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid - right rear wheel well - and the shock mount is no longer securely attached, the rust is so bad. 129,000 miles. I'm in Ann Arbor, Michigan

I'd like to know whether you had this repaired, or ever got any better response from Ford.
windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:02   #9 (permalink)

I have talked to Ford, there is no recall or repair campaign for it. They offer us an X plan to trade it in or they would fix it at full price. I have sent pictures to the Ford factory rep. He told us that Ford knows of this problem and that they have installed two new processes on the product line to fix it. He showed the picture to the Escape engineers and they agreed that it is a design fault and Ford is responsible for the unsafe state that it's in. Unfortunately none of them will put it in writing, in fear of losing their jobs. I also wrote an email to the National Highway Transportation Safety Bureau in Washington DC and still have not heard anything from them.

I got quotes from different body shops in the area, both at $1200.00. And they have repaired other Ford Escapes with the same defect. The repair has to be done from the inside to replace the fender well. Thus all the interior trim has to be removed and welding blanket used so they don’t burn your vehicle up.

I still have not had it fixed yet. I have posted my issues on Facebook looking for more people with the same problem. I should have a website up and running soon also. And will be contacting the local media with a list of people with the same problem.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:37   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

They offered to fix it at full price. What else are you looking for?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum