2005 Escape XLT cooling issue (thermostat?) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 17:18   #1 (permalink)

2005 Escape XLT cooling issue (thermostat?)

Good afternoon. My Escape drives great except that in October 2011 the check engine light came on. I took it to a buddy of mine and he said it was the Thermostat, that it was stuck open (vehicle ran great but never "warmed up"), so we replaced it. Everything was fine until April 2012 (last month) when check engine light came on again & the vehicle rand very cold, would not warm up again. This makes 2 Thermostats in less than 6 months, any ideas?

Edit: Both times the engine light came on the same thing happened; the engine ran cold (needle barely going over C) and the same OBD2 code was present P0128

Last edited by Sokur; 05-16-2012 at 17:24. Reason: Forgot OBD2 code
Sokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 18:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2005 Escape XLT cooling issue (thermostat?)

As long as you used a high quality thermostat, I can't think of anything that was cause an early failure.

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 19:47   #3 (permalink)

Me either, that's why I'm turning to the community who know a LOT more than I do. Last Thermostat I used was a Duralast that was supposed to be a direct OEM replacement. The new I bought (but haven't put in yet, waiting on your guys' replies) is a Murray (O'Reilly Auto Parts) OEM replacement.

2005 Escape XLT 2WD 3.0 V6
It's my daily driver but only gets ~8 miles per day
Old 05-17-2012, 05:51   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokur View Post
Me either, that's why I'm turning to the community who know a LOT more than I do. Last Thermostat I used was a Duralast that was supposed to be a direct OEM replacement. The new I bought (but haven't put in yet, waiting on your guys' replies) is a Murray (O'Reilly Auto Parts) OEM replacement.

2005 Escape XLT 2WD 3.0 V6
It's my daily driver but only gets ~8 miles per day
I have heard of cheap ones failing. They do normally fail by sticking open.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:40   #5 (permalink)

So should I take back the $6.99 Tstat from Oreilly's, stop being a cheap ass and get the Motorcraft Tstat for $23.99?
Old 05-17-2012, 21:22   #6 (permalink)

I'm in serious trouble now. The bottom bolt on the Thermostat housing is stripped, it just spins in place.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:00   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm in serious trouble now. The bottom bolt on the Thermostat housing is stripped, it just spins in place.
Well, you have only one choice. Determine the thread size and purchase a Heli-Coil repair kit for that size. I'm not really sure if auto parts stores carry them as I've never needed one but have used them many times when I still worked. It comes with a drill bit, special tap, insert(s) and a insertion tool. Google it for info and videos.

As far as the thermostat goes, that's your choice but if one brand fails twice, try another maybe at AutoZone before going high end Ford parts.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:33   #8 (permalink)

I have to get the bolt out first, it's stripped while still in the Thermostat housing, can't get it out. I think I have to pull the whole housing out now.
Old 05-19-2012, 16:08   #9 (permalink)

So here's the deal (if anyone is still watching this thread), I removed the entire Thermostat Housing, used a grinder to remove the bolt head and removed it with a pair of pliers. So I proceeded to replace the Thermostat and Gasket, put the cap back on with the new bolts, hooked everything back up and...

Nothing. Hot air blows through the vents, the Temperature needle STILL won't go above C and now the Thermostat housing is leaking. Come on guru's, I need some insight please.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:07   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
So here's the deal (if anyone is still watching this thread), I removed the entire Thermostat Housing, used a grinder to remove the bolt head and removed it with a pair of pliers. So I proceeded to replace the Thermostat and Gasket, put the cap back on with the new bolts, hooked everything back up and...

Nothing. Hot air blows through the vents, the Temperature needle STILL won't go above C and now the Thermostat housing is leaking. Come on guru's, I need some insight please.
Wait a minute! If the threads are stripped you'll have to repair them to maintain a good tight seal. New bolts won't help much.

Your saying now that it blows hot air so that means that it is heating up. Maybe your temperature gauge is defective? Did you damage sensor/wire during your repair? Newer Escapes don't have a coolant temperature sensor, not sure if yours does??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum