2005 Ford Escape XLT Problem (Please Read) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2006, 05:23   #1 (permalink)

2005 Ford Escape XLT Problem (Please Read)

Recently, my mother has been reporting some strange incidents in her Ford Escape. It only has 17,000 on the odo and we have always kept up with regular matnence and all of that.

She has had two incidents of the Escape suddenly "lunging forward" with her foot on the break even, sort of if someone was pushing the accelerator down at the same time that she has her foot on the break. The first time, she was in line at a drive through, the second she was stopped at a stop light. Both times people have been inside of the car.

She reported that the car moved forward approximently ten feet each time, and she was unable to stop the vehicle no matter how hard she pressed on the breaks. It sounds to me, either a transmission problem or some freak accident with the throttle randomly depressing itself. I've not heard any other problems that would come CLOSE to relating to this.

Has anyone else here had the same experiance, or rather, could anyone shed some light on the problem or what it might be related to?

Thanks.
willdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2006, 19:12   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: 2005 Ford Escape XLT Problem (Please Read)

Not to sound rude, but does she have big feet? I am a large man who works at a Ford dealer. When test driving the Escape, I have trouble sometimes with my foot stepping on both pedals.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 13:16   #3 (permalink)

I have confirmed it is not her foot slipping to the side, her feet are definatly small. Now, I've never had it happen to me, but from the sounds of it, the vehicle is revving enarly all the way up the powerband, giving a launching feel rather than just a simple roll forward. Also, she automaticly presses on the break, the car doesn't speed up and eventualy stops after 10 feet or so.
willdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:05   #4 (permalink)

my mum also has a 2005 escape with a very similar problem. could you do an experiment for me with yours. at idle if you just give the throttle a quick stab ours will flare to between 3000 and 4000 revs and then hold it and slowly come back to idle it would be interesting to see if yours does similar. mum says that she has had exactly the same thing happen as yours just as though the car wants to go faster than you do. we've had it at the dealers here but still not much chop. Throttle is very ubrupt. i have a ba xr6 and dads got a vz ute and both silky smooth. Before we broght this we had a mazda tribute (same engine gearbox combo) and if you took the air plenum off on the airbox side of the throttle body and opened the throttle it would have a build up of black shit. cleaned it was fairly good. this had to be done about every 6-8 weeks. Premium petrol helped considerably but still didn't completely do away with the problem. I hope we can maybe come up with a solution or atleast se if there are other peopl.e out there with the same issues because this bastard is heading to the second hand lot very soon if it doesnt behave. look forward to hearing how you get on
Brad..
bra83d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 14:00   #5 (permalink)

I am also having problem with my 2005 ford escape xlt 4wd 6 cylinder. less than 24 hrs after taking it home the tranny seemed as though overdrive was constantly turning on and off. or possibly the center clutch was engaging itself over and over. it make for a very bumpy and "jerky" ride. the dealership told me that it had very dirty tranny fluid. the truck is only 2 yrs old. could there be another reason? anyone have a similar problem? i get nervous everytime i drive my car now.
Michalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:50   #6 (permalink)

I had an irratic gearshift on a steady throttle at 80km/h, causing a shudder. this happened at aprox 40,000km and was resolved by changing the gearbox oil at the local Ford agency in Dubai.

It started to reoccur at aprox 98,000km again. The same agency gave the car the 100,000km service and changed the gearbox oil in the process. Instead of reducing the problem, it has worsened. The symptoms now occur between 70 to 100km/h.

Also whilst parking in Drive with your foot on the brake, the vehicle wants to lunge forward. When this happens, there is only a marginal fluctuation in the rpm, blipping from idle to aprox 1000rpm.

Any advice without the gearbox out?
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 19:22   #7 (permalink)

The transmission (CDA4) is a known weakness especially with the V6 engine. Lots of reports of this issue at Escape-Central.com

best mpg 39.1 for 402 miles on I-70.
Billyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum