2006 Mercury Mariner - couple of questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 16:02   #1 (permalink)

2006 Mercury Mariner - couple of questions

Hi. Recently bought an '06 Mariner, started going through the manual to figure out what it all has installed. th emanual makes no mention of traction control, and it's almost impossible to find any mention of it on the 'net, but there seems to be an indicator light on th dash that looks like a traction control light - kind of a "vehicle sliding on slippery road" kind of thing. I haven't managed to light it up yet (hasn't been raining and the snow FINALLY melted), so I'm wondering if this thing has TC? It's a 2wd.

Also - anyone have a definitive list of what's included with a the upgraded towing package? Mercury and Ford websites suck at providing that info too.

Thanks!!!

bk
bkra13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2009, 18:33   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 2006 Mercury Mariner - couple of questions

Towing package adds a transmission cooler and class II hitch, so you can handle 3500lbs, over the standard 2000lbs with just a hitch on a 2wd V6. Be cautious as you'll want to use trailer brakes over 2000lbs, check state laws.

I can't speak for the traction control, but you can phone the dealer with your VIN and they'll tell you what the vehicle came with from the factory. Keep in mind, they might have to submit this info into Ford, and a response may take a couple days.

Generally, if the dash light comes on, and you can match it up with a photo of something similar in the owners manual, then you more than likely have traction control. Check around on the dash as it might have an override button to defeat it. Traction control helps to proportion power and braking power to any given wheel(s) when required to keep the vehicle on course and to keep the driver from doing anything stupid (err, having any fun!).
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 19:03   #3 (permalink)

Didn't they come with a tranny cooler to begin with? Does the towing package add a larger one? I doubt I'd want to tax this little vehicle with 3500lbs anyhow. Kind of funny, it has a class III hitch, it MUST be able to tow 5000 lbs.. :) . The funny thing about the traction dash light is that there is no corresponding light diagrammed in the owner's manual, but then again manual was taken from another vehicle.
2000 MPV
1978 cb400
1977 cb750f
Old 05-09-2009, 23:52   #4 (permalink)

If it has a Class III hitch some one other then the factory put it on, only factory ones I have seen were Class II with the 1 1/4 receivers.
hluckoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 19:20   #5 (permalink)
canuck

I believe an oil cooler was standard when you ordered the V6 engine (sans towing package, or class I (2000lbs) when optioned with other packages). If you don't tow regularly, keep the transmission OUT of overdrive to help reduce trans temperature.

Careful with hitch designation. A class II might have a 2" receiver to better accommodate higher tongue weights, but that doesn't mean the vehicle can safely tow 5000lbs. It's like trying to distinguish the difference between class 3 & 4 hitches, which both have a 2" receiver. It's how they're mounted under the frame and with how many bolts, to handle the weight.

Don't take a RV salesman's word either on what he thinks your vehicle can safely tow. A LOT of folks make the mistake of thinking the trailer salesman knows your vehicle inside and out. For best control and to decrease liability should you have an at-fault accident, I'd use electric trailer brakes over 2000lbs. Surge brakes are easy, as far as no extra wiring and such, but it leaves a huge hole for liability that neither the US, or Canadian governments have overly discussed. With electric brakes, you have better control as you can operate the trailer brakes separately from the tow vehicles brakes.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:40   #6 (permalink)

No worries, not planning to tow anything major (I know where the GVWR sticker is and other stuff ). Did some digging - the hitch is an aftermarket class III with a 2" receiver from some place out in Joisey (Valley Hitch). Looks like this
Valley Class III Trailer Hitch Receiver V82211 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com
Kind of funny - the only hitch they list for the Mariner is the Class III. Somebuddies axing for trubble.

So - no insight into the traction control light on the dash???

bk
2000 MPV
1978 cb400
1977 cb750f
Old 05-11-2010, 23:31   #7 (permalink)

I found a good resource for the Mercury Mariner service manuals, using a manual search engine. See results page here:
MANUALFOX - manual searchbot results [H-N]

Check the result list for "Mariner" and you will find the detailed service and parts manuals.
greenspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum