2007 driveline - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 22:13   #1 (permalink)

2007 driveline

Hello.

Buddy has a 2007 Escape with a low speed vibration. None of the U-joints were loose so it was decided that since the driveline seemed to be sagging quite badly in the carrier bearing that we would replace that. Got the rear driveline out and inspected the Carrier bearing against the new one. No discernible difference. So a re-inspection of the U-joints followed and the rear joint in the front half of the driveline was frozen. No movement. Seized. NFG.

OK so a call to NAPA yields no U-joint for a 2007, just a 2006 for $15.00. Hmmm I wonder what the Ford dealer has to say. AHA! Whole drive line for $500. Yikes.

A few minutes with a caliper and another call to NAPA and the 2006 U-joint (#369) measures the same as what we have on the 2007. Bang, bang, press, press.

It fit and all is well now. So my question is did we mess up something long-term? Was there a mid-year change? The build date is May-06 and the VIN comes up as an 07. Has anyone had any experience with this before? Does an 08 have locks on the ends of the caps? Any thoughts at all?
TDIDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 14:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2007 driveline

I know there is a Ford Escape expert here. We would like to rest easy knowing there isn't some magic something that we missed. Does the late 2007 drivelines have retainer clips on the U-joints or are they swedged over?
Old 01-22-2012, 07:23   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Dealers will sell individual parts, but some do not only because the profit margin isn't worth the stocking cost. For future reference you can visit RockAuto Auto Parts for parts.

Ford and Dodge use snap rings to hold the joints on. GM uses urethane (last I checked), which makes removal easy - just torch them out but durability is questionable in the long term.

There were no significant driveline changes from the 2006-2007. That body style stretches from 2001 to 2007 where most changes were cosmetic. As for the VIN, most vehicles are made the year before to sell as next years model. Some January/Feb built vehicles in say 2007, might sell as a 2007 model and one built in March might sell as a 2008. It depends on the factory and how quickly they can retool any model changes.

The 2008-2012 models are different in several ways, mostly style although the powertrains were tweaked and the base engine gained displacement.

If the vehicle runs fine with the new U joint in place, there shouldn't be any worry about mechanical problems from this down the road. Just keep up with fluid changes in the pumpkin and periodically inspect the underbody. It was in 2008 when the electrical 4wd system was upgraded to react to changing road conditions to within fractions of a second. If a drive component is loose this can trigger not only dangerous driving conditions in poor weather, but can have adverse effects on the braking, powertrain, electrical, and vehicle as a whole. I'm glad they didn't go all out and get an AWD system like Audi's Quattro - something no one wants to deal with after 3 years.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:06   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the answer. The stocking thing doesn't make sense since they stock them for the 2006.

Until I hear about a Ford Escape imitating a Pogo stick on the highway, I'll let it go at just leaving a note that if you have a 2007 Escape and it needs U-joints, go to NAPA and get a #369 U-joint for $15 and throw it in rather than buy the $500 driveline from Ford.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:51   #5 (permalink)
canuck

Yep, good to know!

I went to get spark plug wires for my '99 Taurus a couple years ago and not one dealer just carried the wires. I had the car in for the fuel pump a few weeks ago and YES! they now just carry wires at that dealer! Before, they had a 'tune up package' that included spark plugs, the plastic holders for the wires, and something else. They wanted $129 for the 'package'. I went online, ordered some wires and a couple things for my Durango, and I got the wires for $45 with shipping. Napa (Canada prices, don't forget) wanted $58 for the same wires.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum