2007 Escape, Worth it or not? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2007, 22:05   #1 (permalink)
noj

2007 Escape, Worth it or not?

Hello.. i'm a potential buyer of a new 07 Escape XLT. I've read mostly mixed reviews and was wondering what advice or guidance may be offered by those on the forums. My current vehicle is a 97 Mountaineer, horrible gas mileage. I believe it's about that timet to get a smaller SUV, with better mileage... i've looked at The Chevy Equinex.. the Toyota RAV's.. and the Honda's. I must say that i liked the Escape the best. (Chevy = too small/tight a fit inside, Toyota= too feminine, Honda= wasn't impressed with design and handling).

I've read how Ford's offering incentives for the leftover 07's to make way for the 08's, but im wondering (from what i've seen on negative 08 Escape reviews) if the Escape's glory days are over. I was impressed by the handling and fit of the vehicle...

From my readings, my major concerns are, -
1- Fuel Efficiency - i've seen in multiple posts that the listed fuel ratings of the Escapes don't come true. Particularly that Escapes with a V6 engine get poor mileage. How true is this from the experiences of those on the board here? Would i still notice a spectacular increase in MPG compared to my current V8 Mountaineer?

2- 4X4, my vehicle must have an AWD/4X4 option, as it'll be used on Hills and inclement (snowy new england) weather. How does the Limited 4wd work in such types of weather and environments such as the occasional unpaved road?

3- Reliability - How do the scapes rate in overall reliability

a 2007 XLT 4WD 3.0L Duratec v6 4-spd Automatic o/d Trans is what i'm looking at... going rate after incentivies is 20,000. Is this a recommended bargain or should it remain a pass-me-by?

any advice would be appreciated
Thankyou for your time.
noj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2007, 20:00   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: 2007 Escape, Worth it or not?

Quote:
1- Fuel Efficiency - i've seen in multiple posts that the listed fuel ratings of the Escapes don't come true. Particularly that Escapes with a V6 engine get poor mileage. How true is this from the experiences of those on the board here? Would i still notice a spectacular increase in MPG compared to my current V8 Mountaineer?
You will get better mileage with the 3.0L compared to the Mountaineer you have now, but the newer Escape has the all new 2.3L 4 cyl model that is quite peppy especially with a 5 speed manual trans. The Automatic version is slightly sluggish, but the power is there when you need to stomp it down.

Quote:
2- 4X4, my vehicle must have an AWD/4X4 option, as it'll be used on Hills and inclement (snowy new england) weather. How does the Limited 4wd work in such types of weather and environments such as the occasional unpaved road?
Some older models had the 4WD that could be manually turned on, but I think they are now all AWD and totally automatic. The AWD system works quite well. It runs in FWD until it detects wheel slip and the fronts engage. Not too many problems with this system at all.

Quote:
3- Reliability - How do the scapes rate in overall reliability
Some of the older Escape models had a few common issues with swaybar links wearing and lower control arm bushings, but the are pretty reliable. These AWD Escape models will go through tires though! Only expect about 30,000 miles out of a set. The newer models do not seem to have this issue though.

Quote:
a 2007 XLT 4WD 3.0L Duratec v6 4-spd Automatic o/d Trans is what i'm looking at... going rate after incentivies is 20,000. Is this a recommended bargain or should it remain a pass-me-by?
Truthfully, I suggest a FWD 2.3L with a 5 speed manual. A FWD will get you out of even harsh winter condition in my experience and the Escape with only FWD is well-balanced and stable. These "Base Model" versions are truly remarkable. Our dealership only sees them for regular maint and not to many problems. The AWD models with the 3.0L are also good, but have more issues with brakes wearing faster and suspension components.

Good luck!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum