Ford Forums banner

2008 Escape - Door actuator?

12K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Cabbage 
#1 ·
Hi all,

For a while now it's been a bit difficult to open my passenger front door on my 2008 Eascape Limited. Until a few days ago when it would not open at all from the outside only. It opens fine from the inside door handle.

I took the door panel off and tried to see if I could fix it. Everything looks like it's hooked up fine it's just when you pull on the exterior handle, everything moves inside except the door will not open. Nothing moves in the latch on the side of the door.

Do I need the whole door actuator or is there a part I can buy? Thanks!

JJ

#2 ·
Well, if you stretched the linkage, the outer door handle may not be pulling the latch far enough. Easy check: open the door, using a screw driver, press against the mechanism in the door to simulate closing. ow try opening it from the outer handle. If it releases, your door has shifted, if it doesn't, but the inner handle opens it, you've stretched something.

#3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The door does open from the inside and not the outside. What could I have stretched?

I saw on the google search that it is the door actuator that needs replacement. The part is quite expensive as it's 11 unit for the latch, power locks and everything.

When I pull the handle up, I see the bar inside the door moving up and down by where the latch is, just does not seem to be doing anything.

Thanks.

JJ

#5 ·
Just wanted to update everyone on this issue. It was the door lock actuator. It is a sealed unit that has the latch and electrical all in one.

I live in Canada and shop price is $217 plus taxes fot the Dorman model, list is much higher. Shop price from Ford was $320 plus taxes.

What I did was order one from Amazon.com for $126 plus shipping and duty and it came to $183 Canadaian all in. The job took me about 15 minutes and the door works great now.

I would advise everyone to grease up their latches to maybe prevent the breakage in the first place. Thanks again!

JJ

#8 ·
Hello there. Thankfully I just found this thread. My 2008 Escape is having the same issue. The lock will sometimes jump rapidly up and down or just never unlock. From my google searches I thought it was the passanger door actuator. See the thing is I'm not very mechanically savy, so I'm not sure where to go from here. If you get this is there an chance you could help me out?

---- Thank you -----

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.