2008 Escape Modifications? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 18:53   #1 (permalink)
InSantaCruz

Question 2008 Escape Modifications?

I'm just casting about if there's anyone who has modified any Escapes no matter the year. My warranty will be ending soon and I've always wanted to:

1. Increase the electric motor(s) power with newer designs.

2. Look into daisy chaining another battery in series to increase mileage.

3. Push the rev range of the electric motor take off, allow higher rev levels.

4. Maybe look at a small diesel generator to assist with electrical needs.

5. Fix the ABS so the passenger side front doesn't keep locking up.

Thanks
InSantaCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 17:44   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 2008 Escape Modifications?

I gather you mean mods to the Escape Hybrid?

If so, there's not really much for the hybrids as they're rather a unique vehicle, and it can be dangerous to adding other battery packs to hold a charge longer in order to get better mileage.

The best thing you can do is look into ways to cut/reduce vehicle weight, and that will increase mileage. Lighter alloy wheels, removing seats if they're not needed, etc.

Mileage varies because weight varies. A 300lb driver will get worse mileage than a 100lb driver, and knowingly the heavy driver, drives easy to get good mileage, while the light driver drives with full throttle and still complains that the EPA ratings are way to high.

As for a diesel generator, if you wanted to add one, I'd stick with a gas generator, as you'll be able to utilize the vehicles fuel tank instead of having two different fuel sources.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 14:18   #3 (permalink)
InSantaCruz

cool Re: 2008 Escape Modifications?

Yes I guess I should clarify, Escape Hybrid.

I'm surprised more isn't available in the after market to 'bolt on'. They are becoming less and less unique very quickly. Adding a 2 battery, of the same type of course, should only increase capacity and be no more or less dangerous than a single one. Now I use the term 'battery' here in lieu of the term 'capacitor'. The quick charge/discharge nature of these devices seems less like a battery than a capacitor, very large one at that.

While weight, to a large extent, help determine mileage. Driver skill is at least equal if not more important and the take off on 'battery' only power is set way too low. There should be a way to set the computer to utilize the torque of the electric motor to better advantage. Of course the electric motor itself can play a large roll.

I've always wondered if using a generator running at a constant RPM to create electricity would do as well or better than a gas engine reeving up and down in order to propel a vehicle any distance. That's why I suggested diesel rather than gas. We can easily make diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
I gather you mean mods to the Escape Hybrid?

If so, there's not really much for the hybrids as they're rather a unique vehicle, and it can be dangerous to adding other battery packs to hold a charge longer in order to get better mileage.

The best thing you can do is look into ways to cut/reduce vehicle weight, and that will increase mileage. Lighter alloy wheels, removing seats if they're not needed, etc.

Mileage varies because weight varies. A 300lb driver will get worse mileage than a 100lb driver, and knowingly the heavy driver, drives easy to get good mileage, while the light driver drives with full throttle and still complains that the EPA ratings are way to high.

As for a diesel generator, if you wanted to add one, I'd stick with a gas generator, as you'll be able to utilize the vehicles fuel tank instead of having two different fuel sources.
InSantaCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 17:16   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 2008 Escape Modifications?

WVO can be made by almost anyone, but even with small generators, they are strict on fuel types. WVO cannot be used in newer diesel engines for emission purposes, and even small engines are starting to get hit with emission regs. WVO is god if you can find an older gen set, but if the unit weighed say 400lbs installed in back, not to mention fuel, tank, piping, etc, I can't see it being integrated to use with the OEM battery without causing disastrous effects to the PCM and electronic system.

The PCM ultimately controls when to turn the engine on and when to shut it off. The engine comes on when the battery reaches a predetermined level of use. From what I've read the batteries never drop below 60% capacity, mostly to increase life. Once the battery gets up to 90-95% nominal charge, and you're say coasting, the engine should shut off until the battery drops down again.

I'm sure if you called around some specialty shops might be able to 'hack' into the PCM programming and alter some of the stock calibrations, but ultimately Ford designed the vehicle the way it is to not only last as long as possible, but to perform decent as well. Especially in an ever growing power-hungry society it makes sense to keep the battery more than half charged all the time.

Back to the generator; if you have a 2wd, I'm sure you'd be able to rig up a secondary power source to power the rear wheels independently of each other, but that can also cause any form of stability control to shut down power to the front drive wheels.

Not to say it's not possible to change the vehicle parameters, but it'll be very hard to do it safely, while trying to be more eco friendly at the same time.

If anything, I think Ford should have offered a diesel engine from the start, instead of the 4cyl gas variants. Or, a smaller displacement 4cyl with a slightly higher capacity battery which would have kept base curb weight the same with the current model. A 1.8L I4 won't charge the batteries as fast, however in North America people are more power hungry which comes at a cost, even for hybrids.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum