2008 Escape Purchase? Tranny Problems? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 18:24   #1 (permalink)

2008 Escape Purchase? Tranny Problems?

My girlfriend is really close to buying a 2008 ford escape, but everywhere Ive looked online it seems like there was a major problem with the tranny cooling system. For those of you that go this problem fixed 1. Did it solve the rest of your problems? and 2. Did Ford cover it or is it covered under the powertrain?

I was also wondering, if it is covered by the powertrain, will they replace it before it actually breaks?

Also please give me your review of this car, my girlfriend it in love with it, but I have really seen nothing but average to poor reviews about is.

Thanks everyone in advance
sousaf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 18:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2008 Escape Purchase? Tranny Problems?

SO after a little more investigation I found the carfax report, it looks like the entire transmission was replaced 4k miles ago. I am going to post the link so you guys could just confirm that for me. If it is replaced are all problems in fact then taken care of??

CARFAX Vehicle History Report on 1FMCU93128KB75422
Old 03-18-2011, 18:31   #3 (permalink)

OK, so that link didn't work before, but i am just going to post the link from the dealership website, and you can see the carfax from there. thanks again!

2008 Used Ford Escape XLT at Automax Preowned Framingham, IID 6850740
Old 03-18-2011, 18:33   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

We don't have any way to confirm if Ford installed a new transmission. Your best bet would be go to a Ford dealer and have the service manager search that vin # in their system.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 18:42   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

There is a TSB a concerning transmission failure on that year and model and a campaign to fix a potential problem.

Quote:
TSB 09-25-4

12/28/09
CD4E TRANSMISSION FAILURE - REPLACE OR
INSTALL TRANSMISSION FLUID COOLER COLD
WEATHER BYPASS KIT

FORD:
2001-2008 Escape

MERCURY:
2001-2008 Mariner

This article supersedes TSB 4-14-1 to update the model year coverage, Part List and Service Procedure.
ISSUE
Some 2001-2008 Escape and Mariner vehicles equipped with a CD4E transmission may experience a transmission failure due to inadequate lube flow during warm up in cold weather.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Follow the Workshop Manual, Section 307-01 service procedure to repair the transmission. When overhauling or replacing a CD4E transmission, always install a new cold weather transmission fluid bypass kit, even if not previously equipped. Do not flush or back flush existing transmission cooler bypass valve system or cooler tube system. Follow instruction sheets included in the new Cold Weather Transmission Fluid Cooler Bypass Kit.
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
Here's a sample letter that was sent out for the campaign.

Old 03-18-2011, 18:53   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
We don't have any way to confirm if Ford installed a new transmission. Your best bet would be go to a Ford dealer and have the service manager search that vin # in their system.
I will call tomorrow, and if the tranny was in fact replaced do you think that it should be fine???
Old 03-18-2011, 19:35   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

I think it would be OK as long as Ford replaced it. I'm sure they did.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:40   #8 (permalink)

Hi there,

Tell your girlfriend to save her money and buy something else. I have a 2008 Escape Limited. I have had it since new in March 2007. I have had the tranny cooler relaced twice while under warranty and the tranny as been taken out completely 3 times. 2 of those, Ford has attempted to re build. It's still not fixed 100% and both Ford Canada and the dealership refuse to return our calls or address our complaints. The other time was to repait a leak from the main seal.

In the 4 years that I have had this thing, it has been in the dealership over 30times for for than 30 issues, resulting in more than 100 days without my vehicle. You name the problem, I have had it.

Other than all the problems, it's a great little truck but a big pig on fuel and kind of sluggish.

If your girlfriend has her heart set on an Escape, spend a few extra bucks and get a 2009. They have more HP and a 6 speed tranny.

JJ MONIE
JJMONIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:30   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMONIE View Post
Hi there,

Tell your girlfriend to save her money and buy something else. I have a 2008 Escape Limited. I have had it since new in March 2007. I have had the tranny cooler relaced twice while under warranty and the tranny as been taken out completely 3 times. 2 of those, Ford has attempted to re build. It's still not fixed 100% and both Ford Canada and the dealership refuse to return our calls or address our complaints. The other time was to repait a leak from the main seal.

In the 4 years that I have had this thing, it has been in the dealership over 30times for for than 30 issues, resulting in more than 100 days without my vehicle. You name the problem, I have had it.

Other than all the problems, it's a great little truck but a big pig on fuel and kind of sluggish.

If your girlfriend has her heart set on an Escape, spend a few extra bucks and get a 2009. They have more HP and a 6 speed tranny.

JJ MONIE
The new 6-speed 6F35 the was first used in the '09 Escape and then in the '10 Fusion. Its had many problems and they still continue into the 2011MY.

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 19:26   #10 (permalink)

Re: 2008 Escape Purchase?

Tell your girlfriend to save her money and stay away from Fords, or at the least, Escapes. I just had my car in the dealership and an independent shop. The independent shop told me they replace a lot of transmissions in the Escape. I have a diff problem but will not be surprised when the transmission prob comes up!
My 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid, (bought it new) has only 30K miles on it and needs a new rear end, at the least. I independent shop removed the plug and it was covered with shredded metal but the unit is not dry, it is just disintegrating from the inside out.
I have talked to the dealership and to Ford. Ford tells me they "appreciate my concerns". The dealership told me because of cutbacks, the parts may have been manufactured poorly but Ford can't afford to fix them because of the poor economy!" Actually it has to do with how one chooses to run their business and then the economy will hit you, not the other way around. The independent shop I went to is incredibly busy because they are honest and do a very good job.
I was also told by the dealership not enough people have complained so there is no recall or class action suit. The guy who told me all that 2 days ago has backtracked a bit! Ford tells me they will let the GM of the dealership ship know of my "concerns."
Two days ago I reminded the dealership that I have purchased 2 cars in the last 5 years for cash from them but they will not receive any money for anything from me or my family again and the service dept didn't tell him? Shows me how little anyone cares.
Word of mouth carries a lot of weight in my small town.
exowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum