2008 Escape - RUST! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 07:25   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation 2008 Escape - RUST!

Hello forum, I recently purchased a 2008 Escape because I needed cheap, reliable 4x4 service that would be under warranty for the next few years. Soon after the purchase I noticed there was a rusty bolt located at the top of the sill of the hatchback. While in for unrelated service at the dealer they fixed that for me.

Since then (I've had the Escape for 3 months now) I've noticed both rear brake housings are rusted, as is the entire length of the driveshaft. Is this at all normal?!? I traded my 2000 Jetta for this SUV and it had less rust after 7 years.

Other than this issue, I'm quite happy with the Escape. Would love to hear from other Escape/Ford owners...thanks!

Best,
C4talyst
C4talyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008, 12:23   #2 (permalink)
Edge/Fusion Owner

Re: 2008 Escape - RUST!

I've rarely seen a drum brake housing that didn't develop surface rust, regardless of the manufacturer. Take off the wheel, mask everything except for the drum housing, and spray it with high-temp enamel.

As for the driveshaft, I think they all develop surface rust as well. You could also try to paint that, although it might be a little difficult, and if you don't cover it evenly on all sides, you may cause an out-of-balance vibration with it.

I had my 2005 Escape for three years, and the driveshaft never rusted any more than what I saw when it was only a few months old. I wouldn't worry about it myself.

Good luck... I really like the new Escapes!

, Blazing Copper Metallic, Charcoal Leather, new on 06-18-2007
2008 Ford Fusion SE FWD, Black, Charcoal/Red Leather, new on 02-23-2008
Redfire Metallic, Pebble Leather, sold on 06-18-2007
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum