Ford Forums banner

2009 Escape 4 cyl Exhaust Noise Level

35K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  Muad_Dib 
#1 ·
When I took delivery of my ordered 2009 Escape the first thing I noticed was the exhaust noise level. It's louder than any new 4 cyl I have ever heard. I test drove 3 over the course of several months and I don't recall either one sounding like that. I have been back to the dealer and they agree it's loud but they are waiting for the outcome of a service bulliten before doing anything. What is everyone else's 4cyl like? Quiet like most 4 cyl cars or do they sound like the car has a bad muffler?
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I purchased a 2009 Escape XLT 4 cyl AWD about 6 weeks ago. I love the car, but I am not a fan of the 4 cyl engine. It is far too noisy for me. When accelerating, the engine is especially noisy. Once up to cruising speed, the engine noise is fine. When passing or going up a hill, the 6 speed tranny will downshift, causing the RPMs to go over 2000. The downshift is great because it gives you more power. However, when the RPMs go over 2000, the engine is VERY noisy. When I accelerate from a stop, I try to accelerate slowly so the engine noise won't drown out my radio. I agree with you that the engine noise actually sounds like a car often does when its muffler is failing. I hope Ford comes up with a fix soon.

#3 ·
We just took our 6-month old 2009 Ford Escape in for oil change/service July 14th. I had been complaining to my husband about the exhaust noise. Our Ford Dealer service department agreed it is extremely noisy. They have ordered a whole new muffler assembly along with catalytic convertor. Parts still aren't in and when I called today I was told Ford didn't expect shipment of one part until September 9th and wasn't given a ship date on another part order backed in July. This is not good if they continue to sell new cars but can't obtain parts for repairs. We've been told it won't hurt to drive the Escape but it is the loudest vehicle I have ever heard. A 2009!

#4 ·
Thanks for your comments folks (Escape Fan and Cadot). It's comforting to know that I am not alone. Glad to hear that Cadot's dealer is doing something for her. I would be happy if mine said the same thing. All I hear is that Ford is working on a fix. I think the fix is to replace the exhaust system. Will hold tight for a little longer.

#5 ·
I took delivery on my 2009 FWD 4 cyl Escape on 8/13. I noticed the exhust noise as being loud during my test drive but they had no other Escapes or Mariners on the lot due to Cash for Clunkers. I was using the program to turn in my 1997 E150 conversion van and was concerned the program would end before they got any more in so I took the one Escape that they had without driving any others.

So am I correct that the noise levels we are hearing are excessive and that Ford acknowledges that it is louder than "normal"? You have actually heard quieter 4 cylinder Escapes?

I detect the noise coming from the rear and not from the engine compartment.

#6 ·
I agree, the noise sounds like it's coming from the rear and not the engine compartment.

Yes you are correct that the noise levels we are hearing are excessive and that Ford acknowledges that it is louder than normal. I have actually heard several quieter 4 cylinder Escapes. I have only heard one other as loud as mine. I actually test drove 3 2009 models (in Dec '08, Mar '09 & Apr '09) that were not nearly as loud. I ordered mine from a dealer (got a better deal) that didn't have any 4 cyl models in stock.

Depending on who I talk to at my dealer, they say the noise is louder than normal, but they are waiting on the outcome of Service Message # 20783 before attempting repairs. The title of the message is: "2009 Escape/Mariners 2.5 Engine - Louder than expected Exhaust Noise During Coldstart High RPMS." I questioned the "During Coldstart" part and they said it really applies to "continuous driving" as well.

I am heading back to my dealer in a week or so to see if there has been any progress on this service message. The message has been out since early June with an expected fix in the 3rd Quarter according to the message. My guess is something is wrong with the exhaust systems used during the production run in the spring, and Ford is trying to figure out the most cost-effective way to deal with this.

Will post my progess.

Howard

#12 ·
Depending on who I talk to at my dealer, they say the noise is louder than normal, but they are waiting on the outcome of Service Message # 20783 before attempting repairs. The title of the message is: "2009 Escape/Mariners 2.5 Engine - Louder than expected Exhaust Noise During Coldstart High RPMS." I questioned the "During Coldstart" part and they said it really applies to "continuous driving" as well.

I am heading back to my dealer in a week or so to see if there has been any progress on this service message. The message has been out since early June with an expected fix in the 3rd Quarter according to the message. My guess is something is wrong with the exhaust systems used during the production run in the spring, and Ford is trying to figure out the most cost-effective way to deal with this.

Will post my progess.

Howard
Hi, any updates would be greatly appreciated. I found this thread via a google on the topic - I just bought a 2009 Triubute with the 2.5l, 6 speed auto and FWD. I love it after 1300 miles but it is the loudest 4 cylinder car I've heard (with a factory exhaust). We have a Mazda 5 which is essentially the same engine and it is much, much quieter - so I can't blame the engine. Mine is a very early 2009 - built 7/08. Anyway I haven't taken it to the dealer yet and was looking to get armed with as much data as I could find first. Particluarly since it'll be a Mazda dealer, I'm not sure if they're as well tuned into the Ford service messages as Ford would be...

Thanks,
Steve

#8 ·
Has anyone visually inspected their exhaust system? Perhaps someone, or a couple people at the factory forgot to install gaskets between the joints to deaden the noise? If Ford runs out of parts, they still keep the assembly line rolling....

I have to agree and say that I've never complained about any 4cyl that I've owned. At least the dealerships are acknowledging the problem and have started to seek a solid fix. I'm used to loud exhausts - on my V8 toys, so it probably would never even faze me to have a louder than normal exhaust on a 4cyl.

A Noise Story: A friend of ordered and bought a new at the time, 2008 Dodge Ram fully loaded with all the trimmings. He had the most irritating sound when the HVAC fan was turned on, like something was brushing and rattling a bit. The higher the fan speed the worse it got. The dealer ended up investigating, and found a chocolate bar wrapped TAPED inside one of the ducts! The dealer assumed someone at the factory planted the wrapper as it was fairly deep into the HVAC ducts!

#9 ·
Our dealer order a whole new muffler/catalytic coverter for our 6 month old 2009 Escape 4-cylinder. Took it in today to have exhaust system replaced and was told they couldn't do it because of a memo they received from Ford regarding the exhaust system on the Escape. Memo said Ford was working on developing a new exhaust system for the Escape and no repairs would be done until they hear back from Ford. We were told to check back every 6 weeks for an update. We asked what happens if the warranty runs out but were told it would still be covered. So....in the meantime we're driving a brand new 2009 Escape that sounds like a diesel engine. Way to keep customers coming back. :thdn:

#11 ·
Thanks for the update cadot. I have to go to my dealer tomorrow to get my wipers replaced (they are worn out already) and I was going to ask again what the status was on the memo. This will save me the frustration of hearing "nothing". Hopefully soon.

#13 ·
Hi all, I purchased some sound dampening material and put it under my rug in the cargo compartment. I didn't glue it down since I need access to the jack. Also, I don't have the cargo organizer so I didn't have to worry about that. It has made quite a difference. The exhaust sound no longer reverberates through the cabin. I got two sheets from Parts-Express.com:Lightweight Vinyl Sound Damping Sheet 27" x 40" | vinyl temperature sound damping sound pins pin lights light damping damp amps amp sonic impact, Lightweight Vinyl Sound Damping Sheet 27" x 40". In my case, it did help a lot. However, I obviously can't guarantee that it will work well for everyone, but I just wanted to pass this on.

#14 ·
I spoke w/ the Mazda service dude today - although he wasn't particularly knowledgeable about the problem, he did look it up on the Mazda sevice system and he was able to find was sounds like the same Ford service message referenced by hpurchase above. His interpretation - they're investigating it (good) but don't expect a fix much before year end (bad). I was at least happy to confirm they get access to the same info the Ford guys have...

#15 ·
UPDATE: There is TSB fix related to the Exhaust Problem!!! The number is TSB 09-25-1. Basically it involves installing a new muffler and heat sheild. This is exactly what I asked to have done to my Escape back in July. Anyway, hopefully this solves the problem. Will post the result when I get the work done sometime over the next month. The parts have to be brought in from the USA.

#17 ·
Received a phone call from our Ford dealer service dept saying the parts were in to replace the exhaust system on our 2009 Escape and that Ford had authorized the repair. Dropped the vehicle off this morning and my husband just called me to say he received a call from the Ford dealer service dept and that they were not going to replace the exhaust system. Apparantely they are only replacing systems on Escapes made prior to 2009. This was our second trip to the dealer expecting repairs to be made and both times, after we get the vehicle there, they call to say they're not doing it. We've bought Fords for years but I'm done buying Fords after this experience. I'm extemely upset since they've acknowledged a problem with Escapes prior to 2009. They tell us it isn't the exhaust system. I've told my husband if it isn't the exhaust system then it's something else. I hear the same loud noise everytime we drive the vehicle. Even my sister asked what that noise was. Not a good way to start 2010.

#18 ·
TSB 09-25-1 Info

2.5L-10-20 SECOND EXHAUST NOISE AFTER OVER
NIGHT SOAK-BUILT ON OR BEFORE 9/30/2008
(EXCLUDES HYBRID)
FORD:
2009 Escape, Mariner
TSB 09-25-1
ISSUE
Some 2009 Escape/Mariner vehicles, equipped with
2.5L engine (excludes Hybrid) and built on or before
9/30/2008, may exhibit a metallic exhaust noise
during first 10-20 seconds of operation during a
cold start (engine off for 2 or more hours). The
noise decreases as the exhaust system warms up.

#19 ·
Had the work done yesterday. The vehicle isn't silent (like my car) by any means, but it's better. I would classify the fix as a slight improvement. It now sounds like a 4 cyl which makes a lot of power (which is exactly what it is), not a 4 cyl with a bad exhaust. It still doesn't sound like it did when I test drove them before I ordered mine...but I can live with this. The noise level is growing on me too, I am sure of it!!! Ugh!!!

Cadot...my Escape was built in May 2009. To be honest I didn't notice the "before 9/30/2008" date on the TSB. The dealer recognizes a problem with my exhaust and probably wanted to rule this out. My symptoms were not really as the TSB described...so I am not surprised it doesn't fully fix my problem.

Good luck everyone.

#20 ·
UPDATE: The noises (and noise level) are back!!! The vehicle sounds the same as it did before the work .. in less than a week!! Very disappointing. Well, now that I know the TSB is NOT the fix for the problem, I am hoping my dealer will fix the problem some other way.

#21 ·
Damn. Sorry to hear the TSB was useless. Now that I think about it, perhaps a batch of parts (say, exhaust tube) were not built to Ford spec, and somehow the shipment missed passing quality control? I know it happens, but for that most manufacturers would realize their mistake in short order and offer a solution. Unless Ford knows of the solution, but doesn't want to tell its dealers until they get enough public feedback on the problem for Ford to act. Or, perhaps parts were shorted, and Ford still pushed production without say an exhaust gasket of sorts. A cheap part, but without it can be quite annoying, even more so for the V6/V8 crowd that have to deal with the Y pipe.

#22 ·
Our 2009 Escape has the same issue. I had mentioned it to the dealer last March, but never took it in to be looked at because the noise was only unbearable in the Winter cold. It stayed warm after I reported it and the exhaust noise was fine.. until this week.. We finally hit -23 for the first time this winter and it now sounds like the exhaust has a hole at the manifold.. it is so loud when excerating it drowns out the radio. I'll be calling my dealer for an appointment next Tuesday.... I'd be interested to hear if anyone else gets this resolved.

#23 ·
Well, I went to my Mazda dealer to see if they would perform the TSB on my Tribute. He said the problem it fixes is not the one I have - which is best described as loud, groaning exhaust tone at all rpm's all the time. There's still a problem logged in their service system about "excessive exhaust noise at high rpm", which directs the dealer to not attempt a repair, as it's under investigation and a fix is expected in 3Q2009. So they won't do anything for me - I just wrote to Mazda customer service in disgust, we'll see what that gets me.

Mine is an early one - built 07/2008 - although I didn't get it (new) until this last August. Other than the noise, I really like it, does really well in the snow even with 2WD - comfortable, good enough power and mileage - but the noise just grates on me, I can't get past it.

#26 ·
New update: I took the truck in to the dealer today to have the noise looked at.
The technician put it up on the hoist and started looking at things. less than 30 minutes later he was done. They told me the noise was not the exhaust, but was an engine vibration caused by something to do with the engine mounts. (There is aparently a TSB on this) to fix it they loosened the bolts for the engine mounts, drove the truck forward four feet. Put it in reverse and drove it back four feet. Put the tranny in neutral and tightened the bolts again. Have to say, so far this does seem to have made a difference. I'll know better tomorrow after the truck sits all night in the cold. But even after sitting for 4 hours in -10C weather there was not the distinct noise/vibration at around 2000 RPM like before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.