2009 Escape 4 cyl Exhaust Noise Level - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 19:24   #1 (permalink)
HP

Question 2009 Escape 4 cyl Exhaust Noise Level

When I took delivery of my ordered 2009 Escape the first thing I noticed was the exhaust noise level. It's louder than any new 4 cyl I have ever heard. I test drove 3 over the course of several months and I don't recall either one sounding like that. I have been back to the dealer and they agree it's loud but they are waiting for the outcome of a service bulliten before doing anything. What is everyone else's 4cyl like? Quiet like most 4 cyl cars or do they sound like the car has a bad muffler?
Thanks in advance.
hpurchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2009, 06:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2009 Escape 4 cyl Exhaust Noise Level

I purchased a 2009 Escape XLT 4 cyl AWD about 6 weeks ago. I love the car, but I am not a fan of the 4 cyl engine. It is far too noisy for me. When accelerating, the engine is especially noisy. Once up to cruising speed, the engine noise is fine. When passing or going up a hill, the 6 speed tranny will downshift, causing the RPMs to go over 2000. The downshift is great because it gives you more power. However, when the RPMs go over 2000, the engine is VERY noisy. When I accelerate from a stop, I try to accelerate slowly so the engine noise won't drown out my radio. I agree with you that the engine noise actually sounds like a car often does when its muffler is failing. I hope Ford comes up with a fix soon.
Escape_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 13:58   #3 (permalink)

Thumbs down Re: 2009 Escape 4 cyl Exhaust Noise Level

We just took our 6-month old 2009 Ford Escape in for oil change/service July 14th. I had been complaining to my husband about the exhaust noise. Our Ford Dealer service department agreed it is extremely noisy. They have ordered a whole new muffler assembly along with catalytic convertor. Parts still aren't in and when I called today I was told Ford didn't expect shipment of one part until September 9th and wasn't given a ship date on another part order backed in July. This is not good if they continue to sell new cars but can't obtain parts for repairs. We've been told it won't hurt to drive the Escape but it is the loudest vehicle I have ever heard. A 2009!
cadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 19:11   #4 (permalink)
HP

Thanks for your comments folks (Escape Fan and Cadot). It's comforting to know that I am not alone. Glad to hear that Cadot's dealer is doing something for her. I would be happy if mine said the same thing. All I hear is that Ford is working on a fix. I think the fix is to replace the exhaust system. Will hold tight for a little longer.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:13   #5 (permalink)

I took delivery on my 2009 FWD 4 cyl Escape on 8/13. I noticed the exhust noise as being loud during my test drive but they had no other Escapes or Mariners on the lot due to Cash for Clunkers. I was using the program to turn in my 1997 E150 conversion van and was concerned the program would end before they got any more in so I took the one Escape that they had without driving any others.

So am I correct that the noise levels we are hearing are excessive and that Ford acknowledges that it is louder than "normal"? You have actually heard quieter 4 cylinder Escapes?

I detect the noise coming from the rear and not from the engine compartment.
snj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:39   #6 (permalink)
HP

I agree, the noise sounds like it's coming from the rear and not the engine compartment.

Yes you are correct that the noise levels we are hearing are excessive and that Ford acknowledges that it is louder than normal. I have actually heard several quieter 4 cylinder Escapes. I have only heard one other as loud as mine. I actually test drove 3 2009 models (in Dec '08, Mar '09 & Apr '09) that were not nearly as loud. I ordered mine from a dealer (got a better deal) that didn't have any 4 cyl models in stock.

Depending on who I talk to at my dealer, they say the noise is louder than normal, but they are waiting on the outcome of Service Message # 20783 before attempting repairs. The title of the message is: "2009 Escape/Mariners 2.5 Engine - Louder than expected Exhaust Noise During Coldstart High RPMS." I questioned the "During Coldstart" part and they said it really applies to "continuous driving" as well.

I am heading back to my dealer in a week or so to see if there has been any progress on this service message. The message has been out since early June with an expected fix in the 3rd Quarter according to the message. My guess is something is wrong with the exhaust systems used during the production run in the spring, and Ford is trying to figure out the most cost-effective way to deal with this.

Will post my progess.

Howard
Old 09-05-2009, 11:40   #7 (permalink)

hpurchase, thanks for the update. My Escape was built in the spring and my noise also comes from the exhaust and not the engine compartment. When you find out more from your dealer, it would be great if you could update this thread. Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2009, 19:47   #8 (permalink)
canuck

Has anyone visually inspected their exhaust system? Perhaps someone, or a couple people at the factory forgot to install gaskets between the joints to deaden the noise? If Ford runs out of parts, they still keep the assembly line rolling....

I have to agree and say that I've never complained about any 4cyl that I've owned. At least the dealerships are acknowledging the problem and have started to seek a solid fix. I'm used to loud exhausts - on my V8 toys, so it probably would never even faze me to have a louder than normal exhaust on a 4cyl.

A Noise Story: A friend of ordered and bought a new at the time, 2008 Dodge Ram fully loaded with all the trimmings. He had the most irritating sound when the HVAC fan was turned on, like something was brushing and rattling a bit. The higher the fan speed the worse it got. The dealer ended up investigating, and found a chocolate bar wrapped TAPED inside one of the ducts! The dealer assumed someone at the factory planted the wrapper as it was fairly deep into the HVAC ducts!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:48   #9 (permalink)

Our dealer order a whole new muffler/catalytic coverter for our 6 month old 2009 Escape 4-cylinder. Took it in today to have exhaust system replaced and was told they couldn't do it because of a memo they received from Ford regarding the exhaust system on the Escape. Memo said Ford was working on developing a new exhaust system for the Escape and no repairs would be done until they hear back from Ford. We were told to check back every 6 weeks for an update. We asked what happens if the warranty runs out but were told it would still be covered. So....in the meantime we're driving a brand new 2009 Escape that sounds like a diesel engine. Way to keep customers coming back.
cadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:08   #10 (permalink)

cadot - thanks for the update. I share your pain. Hopefully, Ford will have a plan to correct the exhaust noise problem sooner, rather than later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum