2009 ford escape 2.5 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 15:37   #1 (permalink)

2009 ford escape 2.5

I recently purchased a 2009 ford escape with the 2.5. Only owned it for three days now. The other day after getting home from work I noticed a small amount of steam coming from the grill popped the hood and it was coming from in between ac condenser and radiator. It doesn't smell like coolant but the coolant it takes which is zerex g-05 doesn't smell like coolant either. When I originally test drove it and checked it out the coolant resvoir was like a half cup low from cold mark. Figured it was no big deal. Topped it off when I got it home. It doesn't get hot either. It has been in the negatives where I live and snowing like crazy everyday. It's not a lot of steam but enough to concern me. Never owned a ford at all. Took it to the dealer today and he said he couldn't find anything wrong with it. He said everything looked good. Is this normal? Anyone else have this problem? The resvoir hasn't dropped at all yet since i topped it off but am going to keep a close eye on it.

Also what kind of gas mileage should I expect to get? Are the cars and motors dependable? Thanks for the help in advance.
Pak713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 17:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2009 ford escape 2.5

I have seen allot of cars steam from the front on very cold days between the snow and hot radiator. Mine gets around 25mpg and yeas they are very reliable if you maintain them.
makuloco2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:25   #3 (permalink)

Thank you very much. I have another question for you guys. The car has 80000 miles on it with Michelin latitude tires in it with half tread left on them. They are wearing good. No cupping, chopping on the tread. When driving the car the faster you go the louder it gets. Sound like tire or road noise. It doesn't sound like a wheel bearing, and when turning it doesn't get louder or quieter. I jacked the car up also to check the wheel bearings. No play in them at all. We like the car but the noise is just weird. Is this normal road noise from the escape? It has the 2.5 front wheel drive. The car doesn't pull or shake. Drives straight down the road. Is this noise normal?
Old 01-12-2014, 16:01   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pak713 View Post
Thank you very much. I have another question for you guys. The car has 80000 miles on it with Michelin latitude tires in it with half tread left on them. They are wearing good. No cupping, chopping on the tread. When driving the car the faster you go the louder it gets. Sound like tire or road noise. It doesn't sound like a wheel bearing, and when turning it doesn't get louder or quieter. I jacked the car up also to check the wheel bearings. No play in them at all. We like the car but the noise is just weird. Is this normal road noise from the escape? It has the 2.5 front wheel drive. The car doesn't pull or shake. Drives straight down the road. Is this noise normal?
If you have the original tires on there the noise is coming from the tires. The factory tires are known for this noise to develop we see it all the time, if there is no visual cupping of the tires where there is a loss of tread contact I would just use the tires up till they are done for. Have you run your hands over the tires to feel them? Usually it is hard to see but you can feel it and usually wont cause much of a shake just tons of noise.
Old 01-12-2014, 16:19   #5 (permalink)

Yes I have ran my hand over tires. I found nothing. They seem to be wearing good. I don't think they are the factory tires. I've heard a lot about the factory tires and most people say they are continental tires. I've never been a fan of continental, Goodyear or Michelin tires. Always been a cooper tire guy myself. Used to work at a tire shop many moons ago. Lol. Continental tires always dry out or weather check before you get rated mileage out of them and they don't ride good. I'm convinced it's tire noise. I'm going to take it in see what they have to say.
Old 01-12-2014, 16:36   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pak713 View Post
Yes I have ran my hand over tires. I found nothing. They seem to be wearing good. I don't think they are the factory tires. I've heard a lot about the factory tires and most people say they are continental tires. I've never been a fan of continental, Goodyear or Michelin tires. Always been a cooper tire guy myself. Used to work at a tire shop many moons ago. Lol. Continental tires always dry out or weather check before you get rated mileage out of them and they don't ride good. I'm convinced it's tire noise. I'm going to take it in see what they have to say.
The old escapes are continental the newer escapes believe 2008 on have cheapo looking Michelin tires that just say Michelin top and bottom on them.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:15   #7 (permalink)

It's probably not your escape no, they should be fairly indestructible. You ought to try some Vredestein tires perhaps, they might be more expensive than the other Continental ones, but who knows, might solve the problem.
serpentinebelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 16:56   #8 (permalink)

Changed Michelin tires. Bought some cooper cts noise is gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum