Ford Forums banner

2009 Mercury Mariner blinking hazard lights

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
I went out to the garage one day a few weeks ago and found that the battery had died on my 2009 Mercury Mariner. After replacing it with a new battery the hazard lights continually flash on their own. It happened once when I got the car back in my garage after replacing the battery. I went out about an hour later and the hazard lights were all blinking away. I turned the car on and somehow got them to stop blinking. The problem seemed to stop and I wrote it off to a hiccup from having a new battery. This morning, though, it was doing it again when I went out to the garage. This time, I disconnected the negative since I didn't want the new battery to be drained dry from this constant blinking. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be? My Mariner stays in the garage when not in use so it's not exposed to the elements much. The connectors to the battery are clean.

#5 ·
The on/off hazard switch on top of the steering column is part of the turn signal lever assembly, really??? Looking at the diagram, a ground applied to the pin #48 of the SJB would cause the same issue so it could be frayed wire or even the SJB itself since it only happens when a battery is replaced, I'm inclined to believe it's a SJB problem.

#4 ·
The problem seems to be centered on the hazard switch which is on top of the steering column. Replacing the switch should be fairly easy but the bolts that I have to loosen won't, in fact, loosen. When I turn the ratchet the bolt just clicks so is there some kind of tool or trick to this that makes it difficult to DiY it? I'm not thrilled with the idea of paying the Ford dealership $300 - $400 to replace it for me. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.