2010 Escape 4 vs 6 cylinder - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 19:21   #1 (permalink)

2010 Escape 4 vs 6 cylinder

I am looking to buy a 2010 Escape and test drove both a 4 cylinder and a 6 cylinder. I like the 6 cylinder better and notice the power difference. But, it seems as if most Ford dealerships in the Chicagoland area only carry 4 cylinders...any input on the 4 vs 6 cylinder? I am also being pressured by dealers to get front wheel drive (because that's all they seem to carry as well) but I think Chicago winters demand 4WD. Does anyone have any experience with this?
sydney28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 17:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2010 Escape 4 vs 6 cylinder

I have not test driven a 10 Escape, but I own an 09 Escape 4 cylinder AWD so I can tell you about it. It is peppy and coupled with the 6 speed transmission it has good (not great) pickup and great gas mileage. My only complaint is that the 4 cyl has a noisy exhaust. I don't know if they corrected this on the 10 Escape. Of course, the 6 cyl will give you better pickup, but you will lose some from the gas mileage.
Escape_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:59   #3 (permalink)

Thank You!
sydney28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 16:56   #4 (permalink)

funny I just test drove a 4 Cyl AWD 2010 LTD and while I found the accerleration OK I did not like how hard the engine seemed to have to work from a standing stop? I purchased mine thru a family memeber and will be flying to Omaha tomorrow to pick it up. We wound up with a 6 CYL as they had no 4s? In Denver they have plenty of both?

Living in Denver I only have AWD Fusion, Sienna minivand and now the Escape. personally I just don't like how FWD works as far as handling goes?

MY 2 cents and first post :)
komondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 19:47   #5 (permalink)
canuck

Dealers carry lots of what they sell more of. with domestic auto rebates aplenty, it's no surprise that V6 models will move faster off the lots. The V6 now has 240hp versus the old 200hp, but of course, it peaks at a higher rpm so around town, the 4cyl will feel almost the same as the V6 until you get over 2500rpm. casual acceleration with the 4cyl will net you a well priced, good mileage vehicle. I'd get the 2.5L AWD myself if the wife ever agrees to it. You can still tow 1500lbs, and the 4cyl offers better weight distribution by a couple hundred pounds as it's lighter than the V6. The I4, if you look under the hood, is also MUCH BETTER SUITED to doing maintenance on, whereas the V6 costs more to maintain, more in fuel, more in labour to get at certain access points.

Plus side to the V6 is of course greater towing capacity and better highway passing, but you have to calculate if the additional 15% fuel use is worth it. If you drive perpetually at 70mph or above, the V6 will more than likely drink fuel for it's sized when compared to the I4.

if you want a V6 bad enough to warrant purchasing one, then go ahead, as you dont' want to regret it later. I find it interesting how the majority of people who buy cars drive them for 5-10 minutes before plunking down some $30K or more for a vehicle they're more than likely stuck with for the next several years. This article might help some, it's for a FWD I4 Escape: CanadianDriver Ford Test Drive: 2009 Ford Escape XLT FWD 4-cylinder the link should work
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:38   #6 (permalink)

I'm pretty happy with the 2.5l I4 FWD Mazda Tribute I bought. I recently spent quite about 1300 miles dragging a small pop-up (~1300 lbs) and it did fine, although it does work hard on hilly terrain and you have to leave the OD off unless you're on very flat terrain. In general I still got >25 mpg when towing.

My only real gripe is the noise. As has been documented here and elsewhere, some of these 4's are terribly noisy (exhaust/engine). Mine is quite unsatisfactory. The dealer won't do anything as there's a service message out that acknowledges that Ford is "working on it" - and the dealer should not attempt a repair. It targetted a fix for 3Q09, but nothing yet.

Other than that I love the thing.
swamp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum