Ford Forums banner

2010 Escape AWD transmission failure

11K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  komondor 
#1 ·
My wife and daughter are stuck in Vegas transmission was working Ok went to pull into hotel parking garage and it would not make it up hill!

Local ford dealer Friendly Ford said there was a recall but going online to the Fordowner web site says no recalls?

Long story short dealer is saying could be 3 weeks and they could get a rental and Ford will probably reimburse? Ford of course is closed today?

Anyone have any experience getting reimbursed for rental or a phone number I can call?

#2 ·
Hope this helps.

RENTAL VEHICLES

In most cases, a rental vehicle will not be required. If a customer's vehicle requires a transmission repair and it is necessary to order parts, Ford will pay for up to two days of vehicle rental except for fuel and insurance which will be at the owner's expense. The parts order must be an emergency order (unit down) if the order is placed between 3:00 PM and 7:00 PM (your local time zone) to guarantee next day delivery. Prior approval for additional rental days is required from the Special Service Support Center. Rentals should be provided only while the vehicle is at the dealership for part replacement. Follow Extended Service Plan (ESP) guidelines for rental dollar amounts. Enter the word "RENTAL" plus the number of days the vehicle was used in the Miscellaneous Expense area of the recall claim form.

#4 ·
Spoke to dealer he said since we were out of town would be better to rent car ourselves then get $$ back from ford. Pretty pissed that their site shows no recall and his computer does. Right in the recall it says to get the car in right away. You would think they would make a better effort to let people know to get this done?

Anyone want to place bets on Ford paying my airfare from Denver to vegas?

#10 ·
well when they did the test on Saturday it failed all of them. I did get a hold of someone from executive services and explained my situation. Right now since Ford would reimburse me for a rental until my car is fixed the rental cost is 140/day for an Escape

Enterprise Midsize SUV
Air conditioning, automatic transmission, unlimited mileage.
Ford Escape or similar, 5 adults, 2 large suitcases, 1 small carry-on, 4 doors
Pick up:
Wed Dec-22-2010 10:30 AM Drop off:
Mon Dec-27-2010 10:30 AM
Location: counter in terminal, shuttle to car, Denver, CO (DEN) More location info
Hours of operation: 12/22/2010: 6:30 am - 10:00 pm, 12/27/2010: 6:30 am - 10:00 pm

1 week @ $719.01 /week $719.01
= Base price $719.01
+ Estimated taxes and fees $205.60 Details
Total price* $924.61

So instead of Ford paying close to 1K in rental cost I am asking for less than 500.00 for airfare? Ford comes out ahead and I am happy?

#11 ·
well when they did the test on Saturday it failed all of them. I did get a hold of someone from executive services and explained my situation. Right now since Ford would reimburse me for a rental until my car is fixed the rental cost is 140/day for an Escape

Enterprise Midsize SUV
Air conditioning, automatic transmission, unlimited mileage.
Ford Escape or similar, 5 adults, 2 large suitcases, 1 small carry-on, 4 doors
Pick up:
Wed Dec-22-2010 10:30 AM Drop off:
Mon Dec-27-2010 10:30 AM
Location: counter in terminal, shuttle to car, Denver, CO (DEN) More location info
Hours of operation: 12/22/2010: 6:30 am - 10:00 pm, 12/27/2010: 6:30 am - 10:00 pm

1 week @ $719.01 /week $719.01
= Base price $719.01
+ Estimated taxes and fees $205.60 Details
Total price* $924.61

So instead of Ford paying close to 1K in rental cost I am asking for less than 500.00 for airfare? Ford comes out ahead and I am happy?
Here's what the actual dealer notice, not the letter you should have received.

View attachment R10B15[1].pdf

#13 ·
well just got back on Friday from picking up the car. Friendly Ford was great they picked us up at the Airport we picked up the car $2100.00+ for cost covered under warranty and the car is probably better than new. I don't drive it much but it cruises at 80 with no issues going up and down grades. Getting on to the freeway it just zips.

Will be faxing paperwork to Ford on Monday and will let you guys know how it all works out!

#18 ·
Justr heard back from Dealer, now there is a lak where the front driveshaft goes into the transmission. They are reaplcing the seal and the axle from that side!

Starting to lose faith in Ford and the Dealer!
If it's the driver's side, it was the source of the leak for many owners. There was a TSB on the issue cause by a rough surface finish on the half-shaft. The TSB was supercede severals times mostly with procedure and part number changes. Ford finally came out with a repair kit under one part number.

They probably damaged the seal with the spline on the half-shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.