Acceleration Noise, 2009 Ford Esc, V6 4X4 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 15:13   #1 (permalink)

Acceleration Noise, 2009 Ford Esc, V6 4X4

Hey there,

I am new to these forums, but would like to ask any fellow 09 ford escape drivers if they've noticed the same thing.
When I am accelerating (normal acceleration), in addition to the nice humming from the V6 engine there is an addition 'noise' coming from underneath the car (or the hood as i cant quite pinpoint it), that sorta sounds like wind noise. But this noise only occurs under normal accelation, not when I punch it, nor when i am cruising or passing people on the highway.
The noise only happens when accelerating, its not a high pitched noise, or very loud by any means, but its noticable enough to be a little annoying (as my passengers frequently point it out, which sucks cuz its a new car i just dropped 30k on).

Ive only owned foreign cars until now, and this is my first SUV.. so maybe its normal?
Any insight is appreciated.

Sorry for the longer then usual post, but i was doin my best to try and describe it =].
FordChris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 20:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: Acceleration Noise, 2009 Ford Esc, V6 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordChris09 View Post
Hey there,

I am new to these forums, but would like to ask any fellow 09 ford escape drivers if they've noticed the same thing.
When I am accelerating (normal acceleration), in addition to the nice humming from the V6 engine there is an addition 'noise' coming from underneath the car (or the hood as i cant quite pinpoint it), that sorta sounds like wind noise. But this noise only occurs under normal accelation, not when I punch it, nor when i am cruising or passing people on the highway.
The noise only happens when accelerating, its not a high pitched noise, or very loud by any means, but its noticable enough to be a little annoying (as my passengers frequently point it out, which sucks cuz its a new car i just dropped 30k on).

Ive only owned foreign cars until now, and this is my first SUV.. so maybe its normal?
Any insight is appreciated.

Sorry for the longer then usual post, but i was doin my best to try and describe it =].
Sounds like the "hooting" issue. I doesn't do any damage though. First blamed on the 4WD system but a newer TSB includes "all" '09s. Ford claims now that it's coming from the drive chain in the transaxle. A 4-5 hour job. I wouldn't have them go into my transaxle unless it was for some other serious reason!

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:23   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for hte reply.. the more i hear it now the more it does kinda sound like a noise as described in the other thread, coming from underneath towards the back of the truck.

Thanks for the advice =]
FordChris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:13   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordChris09 View Post
Thank you for hte reply.. the more i hear it now the more it does kinda sound like a noise as described in the other thread, coming from underneath towards the back of the truck.

Thanks for the advice =]
It funny how the sound seems to be coming from the rear! That's why it was first thought to be from the 4WD rearend. Now they say the problem is the transaxle drive chain and can be found on "all" Escapes!

Only a few have had the chain replaced but at least one claimed the sound is gone now.

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum