Anything special about replacing brake fluid - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 05:13   #1 (permalink)

Anything special about replacing brake fluid

I have never changed the brake fluid on my '01 Escape. I googled the question, and found a couple different videos on how to do it, but not Escape specific. One video said you have to remove the ABS fuse and relay, but none others mentioned doing that and neither does my Chiltons manual. I've done it before on my old Jeep, but all that it has in the system is a proportioning valve, and I'm sure the Ford has more components involved.
Tell me if my steps are correct-
Fill the reservoir, and keep it filled throughout all steps
Open all bleeder screws and let them gravity drain until clean fluid comes out
Close all valves and bleed the system starting with right rear, left rear, right front, left front

Is that the correct way to do the job?

Thanks!
dborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 07:39   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Anything special about replacing brake fluid

When I do it, I do one at a time and never let it run low on fluid. No fuses are pulled and the key is left off. After the fluid is clear all around, we make the ABS operate on a slippery area, wet or a sandy area. That runs the fluid out of the ABS system and the little fluid that was there is not enough to worry about.
Old 07-09-2012, 13:01   #3 (permalink)

Ok, it sounds pretty straight forward. Thanks for the help!
dborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 20:50   #4 (permalink)

I do like Bert does, one wheel at a time with a helper pushing the brake pedal down. I have heard it said that there is an order to which wheels should be bled, usu. starting with the wheel furthest away, which makes sense. As Bert cautions, should the master cylinder run too low, I believe you may introduce bubbles into the piston and valving of the master cylinder. Then you may have to bleed the master cylinder itself.
One thing I do with the rubber bleeder cap is to coat the inside with grease or heavy oil. It helps to prevent the threads on the bleeder bolt from getting rusty and potentially twisting off a bleeder nut. I don't think this would contaminate the system, since fluid is being pushed out of the caliper/wheel cylinder when bleeding.
FE385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:25   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FE385 View Post
I do like Bert does, one wheel at a time with a helper pushing the brake pedal down. I have heard it said that there is an order to which wheels should be bled, usu. starting with the wheel furthest away, which makes sense. As Bert cautions, should the master cylinder run too low, I believe you may introduce bubbles into the piston and valving of the master cylinder. Then you may have to bleed the master cylinder itself.
One thing I do with the rubber bleeder cap is to coat the inside with grease or heavy oil. It helps to prevent the threads on the bleeder bolt from getting rusty and potentially twisting off a bleeder nut. I don't think this would contaminate the system, since fluid is being pushed out of the caliper/wheel cylinder when bleeding.
The rubber caps covered the threads also?

I'm in the middle of replacing all the calipers on a vehicle right now. I noticed that half of the O'Reilly purchased Cardone rebuilts were missing the rubber caps. I was told that I was lucky that some had them as they normally come with none! If I had known this, I'd would have kept my old ones.

The rubber caps I have just cover the bleeder tips. I got some generic ones from Summit Racing.

I've seen some video(s) were they apply grease to the bleeder threads to keep from sucking air back into the system.

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 13:13   #6 (permalink)

Bill,
The bleeder rubber boot covers that came original on my '04 Escape are very nice and fit snugly over both the nipple and down to the housing of the caliper (front) and wheel cylinder (rear) past the bleeder threads. However, that did not prevent the threads from becoming rusty. I did twist off the head of one of the wheel cylinder bleeders, and ultimately replaced that wheel cylinder.
Coincidentally, on anothere posting I had in this forum I talked about frozen drums. I bought new wheel cylinders for that car and they had the cheap "nipple only" covers. I went to NAPA and they had the longer bleeder covers that cover the threads, which I think are a good idea, a buck a piece.
Old 07-16-2012, 16:02   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FE385 View Post
Bill,
The bleeder rubber boot covers that came original on my '04 Escape are very nice and fit snugly over both the nipple and down to the housing of the caliper (front) and wheel cylinder (rear) past the bleeder threads. However, that did not prevent the threads from becoming rusty. I did twist off the head of one of the wheel cylinder bleeders, and ultimately replaced that wheel cylinder.
Coincidentally, on anothere posting I had in this forum I talked about frozen drums. I bought new wheel cylinders for that car and they had the cheap "nipple only" covers. I went to NAPA and they had the longer bleeder covers that cover the threads, which I think are a good idea, a buck a piece.
I may put some anti-seize compound on them while I have the chance.

The guy at O'Rielly's said that they crack and fall off anyway! The car I'm working on is a '78 and they were still there but it's been in my garage since 2001.

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 20:25   #8 (permalink)

What do people think about using teflon tape on compression brake fittings? It might help prevent corrosion, but more importantly it gives another layer of protection against leakage. Plus, I always squirm when tightening those fittings because of the mild steel and the fact there isn't always a positive feel when approaching "tight".
Old 07-17-2012, 02:30   #9 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Teflon is great in certain applications, particularly on pipe threads, but from my understanding, petroleum products can break down teflon. Most brake fittings are actually inverted flare fittings and the flare is supposed to form the seal. What you are feeling is the male and female portion of the flare being seated as their 2 angles aren't exact and are compressed into each other. On a personal level, I prefer not to use teflon on systems where small orifices come into play (cylinders, etc.) as it's too easy to have a small piece on those small fittings roll off and settle into somplace you don't want them.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:47   #10 (permalink)
Moderators

After a lifetime in the motor trade , never once used teflon tape on a brake pipe . Provided the correct flare is applied to the pipe and end dressed up if needed , not required .If in doubt , cut off end and reflare pipe .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum