Ford Forums banner

AWD and traction

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  CatSkinner 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 Honda AWD CRV that has great traction in the East coast snow.
I have been doing alot of research on getting an 2012 AWD Escape. But I dont have any positive feedback for traction and how it handles snow. Someone told me their 2009 AWD Escape has poor traction in snow.

Please advise experience with 2012 AWD on snow or any reports or ratings so I can move forward with buying or not buying a 2012 Ford Escape AWD.

#2 ·
Couple of reviews ,

Vehicle
2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Review
This is my Wife's SUV and she love's everything about it we have put 6000 miles on it since buying new in February. This car is Awesome in the snow and on Ice considering its hard to stop anything on Ice. We tried everything we could to get it to spin out in a snow storm, I know your thinking Idiot, but I wanted to push it limits I Have Road raced cars for 8 years and I couldn't get it to spin out the Advance trac, ABS, and stability would allow me to over accelerate it actually directed me back on the road. I hard to describe in detail but it outperforms my buddy's Subaru in AWD performance, and fuel economy. This a great little SUV and it make me proud to see a American

Favorite Features
everything !!!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements
None !!!!

Near perfect SUV

By billf5 on 10/21/12 12:32 PM (PDT)

Vehicle
2012 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Review
I have had my 2012 Escape Limited with the V6 engine for 10 months and 10,000 miles. There has been no reason to bring it back to the dealer since purchase. I am getting 19 mpg city and 26 mpg highway. I love the looks and features of this well proportioned SUV. With full time 4 wheel drive it handles great in rain and snow. Never any slipping or sliding. For the money I think you get a lot of vehicle.

Favorite Features
I love the blue tooth and voice commands.

#3 ·
Used to own a 72 Mustang with rear posi, drove it in the winter with snow in upstate NY... and we get quite a bit of snow. This past winter I only had my truck in 4WD twice, I also have rear posi on that. BUT, the Mustang didn't always posi, and it was still driven in the snow. If you have the right tires, most cars will handle better in the snow than expected. My neighbor has a 2010 Mustang and it has tires that are about 10" wide, it sucks in the snow. If it's your primary driver, buy an extra set of tires for the winter if you don't want to run a decent set of all seasons in the summer. All season tires geared more towards winter have a good bite in the snow but can be a little noisy on dry pavement. I just turn the volume up a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.