Banging noise in the lower end of engine. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 20:59   #1 (permalink)

Banging noise in the lower end of engine.

I have a 2001 Ford Escape XLT V6 3.0L that has a banging noise coming from the lower end of the engine. I suspect that it is a thrown rod but haven't pulled the oil pan off yet. I was hopping that some of you master mechanics could help steer me in the right direction. I have looked on ebay and edrive for a used engine but I am not sure if rebuilding the one I have would be better and more cost effective. Could I use any 3.0L engine through the years 01-04? I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.
omnicomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 21:07   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Banging noise in the lower end of engine.

It depends on what's wrong with yours. If it needs a new crank, it would be fairly costly. I'd find out what's wrong and go from there. without checking it out, we can't say what would be best. A used one can run anywhere from $500 and up. You can search here.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Old 10-29-2010, 21:20   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply Bert. I had checked them out from your link on the thread blown engine. It seems like they are showing me engines for escape and tribute 3.0L through the years 01-04 are these engines interchangeable?
Old 10-30-2010, 08:59   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

They have a very good cross reference for what fits what. They should work.
Old 10-30-2010, 13:15   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

As suggested by " Bert " , you really need to get it stripped down to see what damage done .In most cases where I have seen it throw a rod , usually too much damage to make it an economical / viable repair . Best of luck .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 19:58   #6 (permalink)

Well I started to pull the oil pan off and half way through the job I realized I needed to remove the cataliytic converter. I had some trouble removing one of the exhaust bolts so I was only able to drop the oil pan down a little bit. I managed to get a magnet in the bottom of the oil pan and thumbed around for broken parts. Only think I could realy get was metal shavings. It also looked like the exhaust manafold wasn't on correctley but I could be wrong. I have attached some picture so you have a better idea of what I am talking about. I will get a better socket to pull off the last exhaust bolt and get a better idea of what it looks like but untill then I thought I would post this and see If I could get any more info.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:44   #7 (permalink)

Well I got the oil pan off and inspected the crank and rods. It doesn't look like any of then have been thrown... Could it be the oil pump that was making that noise??? I could realy use some advice here.
Old 01-05-2011, 14:55   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

It's definitely a knock as opposed to ticking noise ? Could it be a small end knock ? timing chain / tensioner ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 16:39   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It could also be the flex plate. Many things can make a noise, When did the noise occur? All the time, idle only, top of the rev, hot, cold only etc.?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:13   #10 (permalink)

Thank you very much for the quick replies. I purchased this car with the knock in the lower end. 2 mechanics had told the previous owner that it was a thrown rod just by listening to it. I was told that it was overheating but I never got a chance to really test it out. I figured if it was a thrown rod and it was bad to run it so I only heard it run at an idle for a very shot time. The metal shavings tells me there is definitely some thing wrong but I can't pinpoint where it came from. It looks to be some kind of shim of some sort. Here is a picture of a gear that is part of the gear that is attached to the timing chains. Is there supposed to be another chain on this one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum