Brake Clunking - PLEASE HELP! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 11:10   #1 (permalink)

Brake Clunking - PLEASE HELP!

I'm aware this isn't the "tech" part of the forum, but it certainly is much more busy. In that, I'm hoping somebody may be able to offer some advice.

I'm not the most mechanic-savvy when it comes to cars - I'm still learning. I've got an issue with my 2002 Escape, where I'm hearing a clunking as I brake coming from the back left. I've been doing a lot of reading, and some signs point to the ABS Tone Ring. I have new shoes/drums as of two months ago, so they should not be the issue.

However.. I've also noticed that the rubber "casing" on the end of the CV joint/shaft is slit, with plenty of grease leaving it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm extremely frustrated with this car.
inthenameofDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 12:45   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Brake Clunking - PLEASE HELP!

A Broken tone ring on the escapes usually causes a false abs activation. You would feel the brake pedal pulsate and the car would feel like it doesn't really want to stop. Would be more than a clunk on braking. As for the boot it should be repaired just depends what condition the cv joint is in to determine if a boot will resolve it or if the axle should be replaced. As for the noise you have would need to take a closer look as to the condition of all te mounts and bushings in that area to start

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 13:10   #3 (permalink)

My ABS light is not on though, if that's what you mean.
inthenameofDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 14:44   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

No the abs light doesn't always come on with a broken tone ring. The module thinks the wheel with a broken tone ring is locking up. The module then acts as tho it is locked and releases that wheel momentarily. Have you ever had the abs work on slick roads. The pedal pulses and you hear the pump almost make a grind noise. That's what you would experience with a broken tone ring that has not set an abs code. If the module detects that it sees a problem than it turns on the light and abs functions are disabled.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 18:26   #5 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

On a side note, it'd be best to address that boot. CV's with no grease don't make for a happy ride. Since that's where the sound is coming from, you can inspect the joint.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum