Ford Forums banner

Changed plugs 2003 Escape = disaster

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
I took the plunge and changed the plugs on my 2003 Escape. It was a big job for me. I followed the directions posted somewhere on this forum. It ran like crap. The mechanic said I had screwed up 1 & 3 injectors (though no pinched wires) and the fuel dumping in from the 'stuck open' injectors damaged the catalytic converter.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Tried to save a few bucks and it's gonna cost me 3x as much it looks like.

peter

#3 ·
I agree, if the performance was poor to begin with it might have been the injectors as the culprit all along.

The worst thing anyone can do when changing plugs, is not cleaning around them before removal (compressed air works the best). Once the dust settles down, remove the plugs. The last thing you want is crap falling into the cylinder, in which case removing the head is the only option to get it out unless it's metallic and you have one of those antenna magnets.

#4 ·
....The worst thing anyone can do when changing plugs, is not cleaning around them before removal (compressed air works the best). Once the dust settles down, remove the plugs. The last thing you want is crap falling into the cylinder, in which case removing the head is the only option to get it out unless it's metallic and you have one of those antenna magnets.
I am super paranoid about letting debris fall into the spark plug holes, so I give the engine bay a good cleaning w various solvents & cleaners, then a thorough blow w compressed air. While the spark plugs are out, I lay a clean towel over the holes as a precaution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.