"Click/Clack" noise in front end - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 19:05   #1 (permalink)

"Click/Clack" noise in front end

Hello. Any experience with a "click or a clack" type of noise coming from the front end, on rainy days when brakes are applied? I am not sure if it is brake related as it does not happen with each application of the brakes. It could be due to the fact that when the brakes are applied the body leans forward. Again, it only happens when it is rainy, i.e. roads are wet. I had brakes checked and was told nothing is wrong but perhaps, it is the bushings from the sway bars(?). Thanks for your input.
halleva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 14:25   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: "Click/Clack" noise in front end

If definate it's not brake related , case of getting underneath car and checking over steering / suspension for any wear which may cause noise .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 20:55   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Re: "Click/Clack" noise in front end

Perhaps a faulty ABS sensor. If it's very moist (fog or raining conditions) the brakes can grab sometimes with very minimal pressure on the pedal. Or, in cold weather if the vehicle sits for a few days it can also have a grabbing sensation with some noises.

The noise might also be attributable to either the outer or inner pad touching the brake rotor first, which is the noise/click you might hear, before the other pad grabs. If you're light on the pedal you won't feel this although the vehicle may react differently and put more braking force on one wheel tricking the ABS sensor to think that there is slip.

Try this or not is up to you, but under the hood you'll have a high amp fuse/relay for the ABS system. If you remove this, it will trigger dash lights and some other electronics might not work, so do this on a side road where traffic is nil. Then drive it and slowly apply the brake. If there is no noise then ABS sensors are your culprit. Not in all cases will a bad/faulty ABS sensor throw an engine code. I did this in my Durango and was told by two separate shops that my calipers are just 'old' and the cold weather affects fluid flow (blah blah blah), but it only lasts for the first couple pushes on the brake pedal in the mornings and all my sensors tested fine.

If you have an AWD version, I'd get the front axle/transfer case inspected and make sure fluid levels are where they should be.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum