Ford Forums banner

Clunking noise in front followed by ABS/traction control lights

36K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  puddinboo 
#1 ·
I have had an ongoing problem with my escape making a metallic clunk and popping noise when turning and going over bumps. It started out very subtle and only happened when turning at low speeds and gradually started happening more often. One day I was driving and the ABS and traction control lights came on and the car became erratic and braking was strange - I took it in to the shop and they replaced the control arm (I think it was the control arm anyway) and said it was cracked and that this was why the ABS and traction control lights came on and why the clunking was happening. The sound went away for a while but slowly returned - I then replaced the sway bar links and both strut assemblies but this didn't help and the noise has gotten worse to the point it clunks and pops on everything except straight and level roads. Now the lights are back on and the car is doing the same erratic braking as before. I don't want to pay to replace what they did before because I'm pretty sure this was a symptom but not the main issue behind the clunky front end noise. I have read about the TSB 09-22-18 and it definitely sounds like a possibility for what may be behind this. If anyone has dealt with this I'd really appreciate any info!!

#7 ·
This! ^ My 2005 Escape, which also has the wheelhouse rot, had the same issue that you describe. It turned out to be that the tone ring had snapped and caused the ABS to go nuts. Again, ridiculous because this occurred back when the car had only 25K miles on it! I've never owned any car with part failures such as this that have failed so early on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.