Clunking noise in front followed by ABS/traction control lights - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 20:55   #1 (permalink)

Clunking noise in front followed by ABS/traction control lights

I have had an ongoing problem with my escape making a metallic clunk and popping noise when turning and going over bumps. It started out very subtle and only happened when turning at low speeds and gradually started happening more often. One day I was driving and the ABS and traction control lights came on and the car became erratic and braking was strange - I took it in to the shop and they replaced the control arm (I think it was the control arm anyway) and said it was cracked and that this was why the ABS and traction control lights came on and why the clunking was happening. The sound went away for a while but slowly returned - I then replaced the sway bar links and both strut assemblies but this didn't help and the noise has gotten worse to the point it clunks and pops on everything except straight and level roads. Now the lights are back on and the car is doing the same erratic braking as before. I don't want to pay to replace what they did before because I'm pretty sure this was a symptom but not the main issue behind the clunky front end noise. I have read about the TSB 09-22-18 and it definitely sounds like a possibility for what may be behind this. If anyone has dealt with this I'd really appreciate any info!!
jimbohlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 02:34   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Clunking noise in front followed by ABS/traction control lights

Would help if you supplied more info on vehicle .Model , year , mileage etc .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:57   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Checked front wheel bearings ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:02   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Very difficult to tell what the noise is without looking at the car. Very rarely will a noise cause an ABS concern also. Will need to look at all front end components and I would recommend looking at the tone rings on the axles as well to start. Assuming it's an escape.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:21   #5 (permalink)

Sorry, forgot to mention my Escape is a 08 XLT AWD
jimbohlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 17:32   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbohlia View Post
I have had an ongoing problem with my escape making a metallic clunk and popping noise when turning and going over bumps. It started out very subtle and only happened when turning at low speeds and gradually started happening more often. One day I was driving and the ABS and traction control lights came on and the car became erratic and braking was strange - I took it in to the shop and they replaced the control arm (I think it was the control arm anyway) and said it was cracked and that this was why the ABS and traction control lights came on and why the clunking was happening. The sound went away for a while but slowly returned - I then replaced the sway bar links and both strut assemblies but this didn't help and the noise has gotten worse to the point it clunks and pops on everything except straight and level roads. Now the lights are back on and the car is doing the same erratic braking as before. I don't want to pay to replace what they did before because I'm pretty sure this was a symptom but not the main issue behind the clunky front end noise. I have read about the TSB 09-22-18 and it definitely sounds like a possibility for what may be behind this. If anyone has dealt with this I'd really appreciate any info!!
This is likely your concern I show you what to check in my video-

makuloco2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:19   #7 (permalink)

This! ^ My 2005 Escape, which also has the wheelhouse rot, had the same issue that you describe. It turned out to be that the tone ring had snapped and caused the ABS to go nuts. Again, ridiculous because this occurred back when the car had only 25K miles on it! I've never owned any car with part failures such as this that have failed so early on.
Tanning Chatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 21:15   #8 (permalink)

nice detailled video thx ,hope I don`t have to do it but its always good to know.
puddinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum