Engine Knock... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 16:56   #1 (permalink)

Engine Knock...

My 2009 Escape I-4 2.5, has developed a slight engine knock. Any suggestions what this could be? Thanks...
smittyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2011, 05:39   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Engine Knock...

Vitually impossible to diagnose from info supplied or without hearing it . Being a 2009 car , would be advisable to return under warranty for examination .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 16:05   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. It's more of a tapping noise. But yes, I'll bring it to the dealer tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
Vitually impossible to diagnose from info supplied or without hearing it . Being a 2009 car , would be advisable to return under warranty for examination .
smittyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 13:48   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Could be a hydraulic lifter , keep us informed on how you get on , if you dont mind .
Old 03-12-2011, 09:57   #5 (permalink)
canuck

Curious that you did check the oil level before taking it to the dealer?
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:18   #6 (permalink)

Hi,

I just joined these forums today in search for anyone with a engine knock problem with the 2.5 escape.

I have a 2010 with 36000km on it. It started making a knocking sound (slight), took it in to the dealer almost 2 weeks ago. They pulled the oil pan and did some "checks" and found nothing unusual. The dealer is giving me no details of the work done even though I have asked several times. Now they are rebuilding the engine. Would anyone else here accept a rebuild or would you request a new engine? So now I'm going to have a new vehicle with a rebuilt engine, how nice is that!!!

Called the dealer today to ask for details, still awaiting reply. Any advice?

Thanks
McKracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 18:49   #7 (permalink)
canuck

They better honour a new warranty on the engine, 3/60K kms. Rebuilt or not.

I know on older engines to cure a knock you just up the octane a bit, or use a thicker/thinner oil depending on application.

The problem these days is that manufacturers are running SUPER light oils in engines to try to eke out every last possible 0.001% worth of fuel economy to help their CAFE rating. Long term, mostly after the warranty, running 0W20 oil isn't always the best course. Running the standard 5W30 synthetic is the way to go. Dealers also profit more from running lighter oils, as they charge more for it unless the dealer includes a maintenance paid package with the vehicle for a certain length of time.

You can always phone Ford directly about inquiring about a proper, er full, warranty on the rebuilt engine if the dealer gives you any grief in the matter. It might take a couple days to get a response, so you might even want to call now so you have their attention and they can contact the dealer about the change.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:33   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

You are fully entitled to ask what the fault with the car is , what caused it and what work is being carried out and parts fitted to rectify this . Insist on this as it is your legal right and also you want to keep record of work carried out in case of problems further down the line . Seems strange they " found nothing unusual " but are now overhauling engine .
Old 08-17-2011, 07:33   #9 (permalink)

mad Re: Engine Knock...

Thanks for you replies. I've called the dealer twice now and can't get through to the service advisor. Left a voicemail with no call backs. I'm going to go in there today to see what is going on. Its like they are hiding something from me.

If I get any new info I will post.

Thanks.
McKracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:59   #10 (permalink)
Moderators

Terrible service from a dealership , hope you get it sorted out o.k .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum