Engine knock 2009 Escape 4cyl - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 07:34   #1 (permalink)

Engine knock 2009 Escape 4cyl

I have a 2009 Escape XLT 4WD with the 2.5l 4cyl engine. Sometimes I hear a knocking/rattle sound. If I give the engine more gas or take my foot off of the gas petal, the knock goes away. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing and if not, what gas/grade do you use. I have been using Shell regular gasoline. Thanks - John
Escape_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2010, 20:12   #2 (permalink)

Re: Engine knock 2009 Escape 4cyl

Are you sure that it's a spark knock because there is a TSB about a knock cause by the torque converter?

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:40   #3 (permalink)

Hi Bill,
Actually, I'm not sure. Do you have any information about the TSB for a knock caused by the torque converter?
Thanks - John
Old 06-13-2010, 06:53   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_Fan View Post
Hi Bill,
Actually, I'm not sure. Do you have any information about the TSB for a knock caused by the torque converter?
Thanks - John
It's TSB 09-10-03: tsb09-10-03.pdf

Old 06-13-2010, 15:37   #5 (permalink)

It looks like the TSB is for builds before 8/2008. My Escape was built in 3/2009. However, thanks Bill for trying to help. Much appreciated.
-- John
Old 06-13-2010, 16:28   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_Fan View Post
It looks like the TSB is for builds before 8/2008. My Escape was built in 3/2009. However, thanks Bill for trying to help. Much appreciated.
-- John
Does it sound like your issue? They sometimes ignore build dates and even vehicle specifics if it appears to be the same issue.

Old 06-19-2010, 19:36   #7 (permalink)
canuck

John - as the vehicle is under warranty, make a bit of a stink about it at your dealer. Don't wait until your next service visit or that'll make them think that you're not too concerned about it. Take the trip now, because if it is pre detonation you can cause damage to the engine.

Shell fuel is also the best out there, and I highly doubt that is your problem.

Perhaps a spark plug might be fouled enough to cause the noise but not enough to trigger an engine code. The dealer can also scan for codes, but make sure they do it at no charge!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:36   #8 (permalink)

Thumbs down Re: Engine knock 2009 Escape 4cyl

Our 2009 Escape 4 cyl 2.5L also has the same problem and it is getting worse. When it is cold it sounds like a diesel engine, even it is warn it ticks and knocks. I have been to Ford several times but they insist it's normal. Three weeks after we bought it the transmission broke it took over a month to get a new one, while at the shop we had to bring back the second key because they said the computer need to be changed, then the heated mirror broke a few months later they recalled it to change a module(computer), then they had to change the whole upholstery because of watermarks and we also had the squeaky tailgate problem along with tail gate light cracking and the Ford emblem paint chipping off.

I would never recommend a Ford to anyone. Advertising is job #1 certainly not quality.
marcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:58   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I've worked at several different dealers of different car brands. Every car can have problems. The main thing is that they fix them. I won't mention any brands but some will put things off until the warranty is over, then good luck. It sounds like they're trying to remedy all your concerns. If the noise isn't being repaired, ask to have them let you talk to the factory rep.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum