Engine Light on and Miss Firing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 10:57   #1 (permalink)

Engine Light on and Miss Firing

I just drove my Ford Escape 2002 from Vancouver Canada to Mexico (over 5000 km) and as soon as we arrived the oil light went on and then the engine light.

I put the oil in, but the engine light returned a few days later and has stayed on for the last week and now the engine seems to flutter or miss fire.

It is very noticeable when I first start the vehicle, and then seems to get a better as it warms up.

I am about to take it to mechanic, preferrably a Ford Dealership but I would like an idea of what this could be before walking in blindly, as sometimes mechanics here can take advantage.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
rockerover28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 11:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: Engine Light on and Miss Firing

You'll need to pull the codes to have any idea of what to do.

Are you still in Mexico?

Here in the USA many auto parts stores will pull the codes for free & usually provide a printout. They may not be able to interpret the code, though, so post the code here or look it up on the internet.
hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:13   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the response. That gives me a start, I am in Mexico for the next year so it will have to happen here.

Forgive my ignorance but how do you pull codes? Is this something I can do or do I have to go to a mechanic...I have my doubts that the parts shop here will do it but I can try.

Thanks again
Old 10-05-2010, 19:13   #4 (permalink)

There ought to be a code reader port under the dash & easily accessible.
You could try an auto parts store there to see if they sell a reader.
To see what they look like, go to ebbaay or someplace & do a search for OBDII code reader.

Also, it helps to mention what Escape it is: 4-cyl or V6.
hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 19:26   #5 (permalink)

Thanks again,

I found a mechanic with a reader and it is error code P0304 and cylinder #4 not firing.

I am searching the internet now to see what that is, the mechanic seems to think spark plug.

If anyone knows different please let me know. It is a v6 if that helps.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2010, 21:55   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerover28 View Post
Thanks again,

I found a mechanic with a reader and it is error code P0304 and cylinder #4 not firing.

I am searching the internet now to see what that is, the mechanic seems to think spark plug.

If anyone knows different please let me know. It is a v6 if that helps.

Thanks
That's a misfire #4 cylinder. If you can easily move the COP(coil on plug), see if the misfire moves. That will tell you if it's the spark plug or the COP.

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 19:51   #7 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Engine Light on and Miss Firing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
That's a misfire #4 cylinder. If you can easily move the COP(coil on plug), see if the misfire moves. That will tell you if it's the spark plug or the COP.
Or if when you remove the #4 coil you find moisture and/or rust you'll need a new coil and spark plug.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 20:54   #8 (permalink)

If your buying your gas in mexico only buy their version of premium gas, and even at that my Windstar runs pretty rough. The Mexicans I know like the Lucas gas treatment. and bring that back with them. or perhaps an octane boost. My Windstar is in good shape so I never use additives when I'm down there. When you get back to the states you'll notice your engine slowly readjust back to running good gas but it might act up a little at first.
krystovar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum