Ford Forums banner

Escape '03 STALLS when shifting into 2nd Gear

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
I have a problem that happens when I reach the city after a long drive (@ 45 Min Highway Drive) and drive around Stop signs and at city speeds:

-When the car is supposed to shift into 2nd Gear it just STALLS...RPM still goes up but the engine just STALLS as if it was in NEUTRAL.

-What I do is take my foot of the pedal for a second so that the RPM goes all the way down and the engine starts from 1st Gear again.

I HAVE TO DO THIS STEPPING OF THE PEDAL OVER AND OVER AGAIN EVERY COUPLE OF METERS SINCE THE CAR IS ONLY RUNNING ON 1ST GEAR...

-What I have noticed is that when I turn off the car, let it rest and cool off for a couple of hours the problem dissapears!!!

Does anyone share this problem or could help me find a solution??

#3 ·
Diego - I just want to make sure that you've covered the basics here first. The basics include a standard tune up, transmission service, coolant flush and cleaning ot replacing the idle air controller (IAC) on/around the throttle body. The IAC and TPS (if equipped) are similar to O2 sensors that will require replacement every 100K or so for best performance.

Another possibility is that your cat converter might be clogged, or on it's way to completely clogging up in which case it will make the vehicle hesitant once the unit heats up, hence after your long drive it starts giving you problems. I'd check into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.