Escape 3.0 24 Valve Engine Howl - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 09:26   #1 (permalink)

Escape 3.0 24 Valve Engine Howl

Hi there....

We bought a 2001 Escape last summer and a few months after buying it we heard a strange howl in the engine when starting it for the first time that day. We shut it off, restarted it and it was gone. We didn't hear it again for many months but it's beginning to sound off more often. It generally will howl for about 10 or 15 seconds before fading away. It sounds like it's coming from the top, front of the motor. I changed the belt and tension bearing with no difference. I'm not sure if we should just keep driving it or??? I can't take it to a dealer because it comes and goes, sometimes many weeks in between. Any suggestions?
Mazama Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 17:06   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Escape 3.0 24 Valve Engine Howl

Tough call to make without being there. Does it do it regardless of outdoor air temp? How about when the engine is warm? Not sure how your throttle body is arranged, but you could also be hearing the butterfly opening.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:48   #3 (permalink)

Tough call to make is right. The first time we heard it was on a 90 degree day on the first start up of the day. I've since heard it on 20 degree days and on a warm engine. It usually does it when starting the engine but there have been a couple times where it has come on while the engine was running and then just faded away. Very odd.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:42   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

That does not make sense. Voltage and vacuum ok?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:42   #5 (permalink)

Voltage good but haven't checked vacuum. Not sure how to or what's correct.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:44   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

On the 5.0's, it should be 15-16" at idle, I'm assuming the same for yours.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:48   #7 (permalink)
canuck

If the vac is good it will be hard to pinpoint. The 24V 3.0L is quite durable and I wouldn't overly concern myself with something that happens once every few weeks. If you can manage to post up a video of the noise one of us blokes on here should be able to better pinpoint the source.

A couple things I can think of off hand:

1. When you start the vehicle, is the A/C on, or do you have the fan setting in any defrost mode? Defrost and some floor/vent settings on the fan will engage the A/C compressor and can make some interesting sounds as it's hard on the system to start the engine, and have the A/C trying to run at the same time. It can also lead to early A/C clutch failure. The best thing is to turn the system off completely before shutting off the vehicle and not using a defrost setting until after the vehicle has been started for several seconds.

2. I'll point this one out anyway - Make sure the right engine oil is being used. My Taurus used the 5W20, as recommended by the dealer with the 3.0L 2V V6. Heavier oil will take a few more seconds to properly lube the top end of the engine. A local shop here was caught for using 15W40 years ago, instead of what the consumer specified because the shop owner was able to get the diesel oil for much less, and bought it in bulk! Over 700 vehicles were reported to be using the diesel oil.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:08   #8 (permalink)

I would check all bearings on the A/C, power steering, alternator and idler pulleys.

I had a large post, and the web ate it. I will not type it all in again, sorry. I am too irritated now.

Bad bearings can howl when they are dying, and then generate enough heat to melt the lube and quiet down for a bit.
Feel the pulleys on all items for smooth rotation. Roughness indicates coming problems, as does stiffness.
tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum