Escape/ lack of power. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2007, 06:27   #1 (permalink)

Escape/ lack of power.

I have a 2002 XLT 3.0 4X4 Escape that lacks power. It starts and runs fine, but when you try to pass or go up a hill it just don't have any power. I had a shudder in the transmission, and took it to the Ford dealer for a trans flush and fill. That got rid of trans shudder, but now it don't have the zip it use to. Also when you kick down to pass the engine revs real high and it don't kick out of the passing mode until you let off the gas.Any ideas, Thanks
abnormal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2007, 15:47   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Escape/ lack of power.

Tune up. Install descent plugs (platinums work fine with the duratec). I test drove an '08 XLT Fwd and it had no power. I found out that it makes its 200hp around 6000rpm and torque at 4750rpm. I would imagine with the slightly smaller 2002 model and the added weight of the 4x4 it would have similar performance numbers.

I know with dodge transmissions, getting one flushed would be putting it in line for a rebuild! Depending on your mileage and the way you drive it on a regular basis the torque converter might be on its way out. If it gets worse get it in for a diagnostic/tranny check.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 14:26   #3 (permalink)

360ci, Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I took the Escape to Ford Dealer, and found that the Catalyic converter was plugged up. They replaced for free. Thanks Again
abnormal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 16:31   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Gotta love the cats, when mine went on my older truck you could smell that something just wasn't right, not really like bad eggs/natural gas, but close.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 16:34   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnormal1 View Post
360ci, Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I took the Escape to Ford Dealer, and found that the Catalyic converter was plugged up. They replaced for free. Thanks Again
Wow, how did they replace for free? I have a 2001 and it's been out of warranty for awhile. Did you get an extended? I have the same issue. Just started missing real bad at stop and any speed when accelerating. Replaced plugs, upper intake gaskets and collapsed vacuum connector, dpfe. I am out of ideas. Help!!
MPDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:14   #6 (permalink)

Hello I liked what you said so if you want speed from your escape (I'm a owner of a 2005 escape v6 limited)follow these instructions.I did this because one day I overheard some people taking about my ride laughing say it's a piece of shit well that got me mad this is what I did you want to grt a cold air intake (I got a weapon-r makes a big differance)Ford 00-05 Escape (V6) Weapon-R Secret Weapon Intake System (307-139)
next you want to replace your exhaust with a catback system ford escapes exhaust is cutting your power allot it has a cat then a resinator looks like a mini cat then your muffler which isn't high flow the new exhaust is, I put a gibson on mine
Cat Back Exhaust Systems by Gibson Exhaust. For Trucks, SUV, Diesel, side by side, sandrail, RV, and Marine. Performance Exhaust and Mufflers for the Enthusiast
Next you want to get a performance flash module it will connect directly to your OBD-II jack which is located under the dash on the drivers side thats the plug the dealer would use to check a code if your check engine light came on. Now I put this module in mine and when I say WoW it works awesome.
Volo Performance - Chip Tuning Made Easy
So if you follow these steps you will have a escape that will Kick ass on the road.
escape1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 17:19   #7 (permalink)

I had my catalytic get clogged too, the warranty for the catalytic is longer then the warranty on the rest of the vehicle, I have a 2001 ford escape and I had my catalytic replaced about 2 or three years ago
toolman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 15:08   #8 (permalink)

Exclamation Re: Escape/ lack of power.

i have mine at the shop for the same problem and they said that the cat is going to cost over $1000 to fix, i know i am getting ripped off cause i can do it myself for under 200.
mhiggi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:35   #9 (permalink)

Good luck in replacing all (3) three of them. I replaced my rear one for the same problems. That was the easy one. If you look behind the engine from underneath you will see that "FORD" has two more cats and yes from a former post you have to buy the whole assembly that bolts to the manifold with the two cats included. $1,000.00!!!!
erkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum