Fender Gap, Flaw Design - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 01:42   #1 (permalink)

Fender Gap, Flaw Design

Gettings,

I am a new owner of a 2008 Mercury Mariner/Ford Escape. I have been going through it with a fine tooth comb cleaning and making it as close to knew as possible.

I came across something while detailing the engine compartment that has me puzzled. Both fenders have what apear to be a design flaw where it has a rather wide gap of 1/2" or more up near the headlights going down to none 3/4 of the way towards the firewall between the top of the fender and the inner fender well or wheel well area.

I looked online but found nothing in regards to anyone talking about this. I have seen a couple of pictures of other Mariners/Escape and they appear to be the same. Has anyone checked into this and found out what is the deal?

Is this just a design flaw and how many years had this? Anyone ask the dealer and what did they say?

Thanks for any information. I can post pictures if anyone needs them.
lovbyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 07:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fender Gap, Flaw Design

Pictures please.

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:09   #3 (permalink)

Here are the pictures. I have done a lot of searching online and have only seen a couple of pictures where the full engine compartment is shown and although the angle is differet it looked to be the same.

It seems all the dealer pictures are very careful not to show any side shots. There is no damage to anything else. The fender gaps are all perfect. It really looks like a design flaw of the inner fender well design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7173-2.jpg (49.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7172-2.jpg (57.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-10-2011, 13:01   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Dont know the car , but that doesn't look right . No accident damage ? Let's know what you find out .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 15:41   #5 (permalink)

Got a similar gap on my '09 but about half as much so it trails off as it goes back towards the firewall. Seems like that vertical piece should be tucked under the fender lip.

Old 06-10-2011, 16:10   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
Got a similar gap on my '09 but about half as much so it trails off as it goes back towards the firewall. Seems like that vertical piece should be tucked under the fender lip.
Yeah that's what Im saying. The picture may make it look larger because it's close but it defiantly is not right.

No accidents, no damage. I hope more people will look and see if theirs is the same. I think many people may not even notice it but I'm sort of anal about things like that.

I'm thinking some engineers didnt communicate and it got missed until after production of the parts and would be to expensive to re design. Personally I think it looks cheap and shows poor quality control as far as design/fitment goes.
Old 06-10-2011, 19:31   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
Yeah that's what Im saying. The picture may make it look larger because it's close but it defiantly is not right.

No accidents, no damage. I hope more people will look and see if theirs is the same. I think many people may not even notice it but I'm sort of anal about things like that.

I'm thinking some engineers didnt communicate and it got missed until after production of the parts and would be to expensive to re design. Personally I think it looks cheap and shows poor quality control as far as design/fitment goes.
I've had my hood opened for several days and never noticed that.

Old 06-10-2011, 23:44   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
I've had my hood opened for several days and never noticed that.
Did you see my pictures? Does it look about the same? It is strange...
Old 06-11-2011, 03:34   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
Did you see my pictures? Does it look about the same? It is strange...
My gap looks smaller but maybe they closed the gap a bit in '09! It's hard to believe that if it was a mistake that it would continue this long. Why put the the bends in the metal that appear to be for a overlap and not use it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum

Related Reading: Fender Gap, Flaw Design