Ford Forums banner

Ford Escape Idles then engine dies

32K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  janacita 
#1 ·
Hey all.. Thanks a bunch for your motor savy friends who help out those in need like me..

My question is in regards to my 2003 Ford Escape. When the engine is cold it cranks right up and runs well but after running it for a while if I go to turn it off and restart it will idle high for about 2 seconds then it dies. Once I let it cool down for about 10-15 mintues it starts again. Also If I need to get going and don't have time to wait for it 2 cool down I can turn it on and quickly put it into grear (drive/reverse) and it will stay on without turning.. Kind of weird.. anyhelp would be much appreciated.

Joe

#2 ·
When was the last tune up? Replace plugs every 40K irregardless if they're meant to last longer or not. Ford might say replace every 80-100K for platinum plugs, but just get regular copper core and change them twice as often. You'll even save enough to eat out for a day.

Anyway, your IAC (idle air control) sensor is probably shot and needs to be replaced. It'll run $40-60 depending where you get it. If you have an AutoZone nearby they should scan your vehicle for codes free of charge. Even if you haven't noticed the engine light come on, you may have codes stored in the PCM that can better diagnose the problem.

#8 ·
I am curious did replacing the IAC solve your starting problem? I am having the same problem currently. I have taken my car to the repair shop twice in the last week and I thought that I was going crazy. They can't find a problem but since it's warming up now (the weather), the problem is more pronounced. When I start my car up in the morning, it starts perfectly. Once I run my car in the afternoon when the weather is warm and I go several places, I can't hop in my car and immediately start it up. It won't start right up, I have to try to keep starting it and giving it gas, until it eventually catches and starts up. This is so frustrating because it's almost summer and I know this is going to be a everyday thing. What gives? is this a defect for Ford Escape SUV's? I have a 2003 Ford Escape Limited and I first noticed the problems with starting up last summer and now, it's consistently doing this. I checked for Recalls and there are none for this problem but I think this is a Defect for Ford Escape's. Has anyone been successful in getting this issue resolved? I see many POSTS for the same issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.