Ford Forums banner

Ford Escape Ignition Start Problem

9K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
Good Morning
I am new to the forum and am in desperate need of some help. My daughter just purchased her first car, a Ford Escape. I own a 2008 so it is our second for us. It is a 2009 SPE and she has been having issues with it since about 14 days in from date of purchase. The key is really hard to turn and when it does turn there is an intermittent starting issue that is getting progressively worse. I took it back to where I bought it and the first time they adjusted the tumbler to make it easier to turn over. That helped for a little bit or so it seemed. Then after about a week it started again, every 5-10 starts, you would turn the key and nothing. I thought maybe there was a dead spot in the started however last week (Wednesday) the mechanic said it was the ignition switch and it was was replaced; it seemed to solve the problem.

Last night my daughter went to start it and the same problem yet again only this time it took almost 10 minutes to start it and now I have to call the place I purchased it yet again. I am not sure they will cover anything now because it has been over 30 days since it was purchased. The key can be very difficult to turn unless you push the key right in super tight and when you turn it over, you hear absolutely nothing.

Has anyone else had this issue or can someone make a suggestion on what it could be?

Any help would be appreciated before this gets too costly.
Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
I had this same problem with mine! My husband finally figured out how to fix it for good. Best part: he did it for free at home! So the ignition switch is a plastic piece, the ignition pin is metal, and it just doesn't quite grab on the first time to start the car. After replacing the ignition switch 3 times, he started brainstorming. He took the cover off, took the ignition switch off, wrapped a tiny piece of electrical tape around the end of the ignition pin, and replaced the ignition switch. The piece of tape thickened the pin and essentially made it a 'plastic' pin on a plastic switch, instead of a metal pin on a plastic switch, this keeps the pin from stripping out the switch, and gives the pin enough traction to start the car on the first try with no effort. I don't even have to push the key into the ignition hard anymore, I just put the key in, and turn! It's amazing, and my husband is a genius!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.