Ford Escape Main Drive shaft CV separated... Please HELP! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 06:40   #1 (permalink)

Ford Escape Main Drive shaft CV separated... Please HELP!

Ok,
Replacing the u joints... I should have just left this one to the shop.. I had a bad feeling but then went and did it anyway.
The rear one was less than an hour. The center (front) one just in front of the carrier bearing would not come out with my press. So I had to remove the shaft.
I was following the shop cd, and what I read online. Except instead of the front drive shaft pulling out of the PTO (Transfer) tcase... it separated at the joint. This is just like a cv joint.. but I think the entire shaft may have to be replaced if its not fixable.

The questions are:
A) Is this fixable by me possibly, OR at least a shop (maybe transmission) can fix it?
B) If its not fixable and the solution is to replace the front drive shaft... I believe I then have to replace the back shaft as well, as they are weighted together... Is this correct?

C) Can I drive it without the driveshaft in? Obviously these are front wheel drive first... What would I have to do to make this safe and not harm the truck. Until I can get this figured out.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated... I turned this $150 shop job into what I thought was going to be $25 and 2 hours into a pure nightmare.. I really dont have the money to fix this right now.
Please any help will be appreciated. If anyone needs pictures I will get them right away.

Here is a picture of the broken part. This is not my part its just a pic I found online.

I will gladly take pictures of whatever is needed if this post is not clear.
Snake2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum