Ford Escape questions? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2006, 07:48   #1 (permalink)

Ford Escape questions?

Hi folks,

I have a few questions for the Escape owners out there.

A. What kind of gas mileage are you getting out your escape? I am curious as to what the mpg difference is between the 2.3 and 3.0

B. How do you like the 4 wheel drive on the escape.? I am looking at it and it seems all you do is press a button and it engages and gives the wheels the power where needed "intelligent 4x4?" Is there a 4 wheel lo, hi option and do does it have a locking rear diff, or limited slip? The ford site is not clear about how the 4 wheel drive works on this vehicle.

I am sort of looking around to see whats out there right now and am looking at this vehicle sort of as a compromise coming from a truck (99' ranger) but wanting something that gets better gas mileage than what I am getting now (currently getting around 20mpg) with these high gas prices.

Thanks
mikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2006, 23:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ford Escape questions?

Do yourself a favor, buy a Subaru Forrester instead. Almost the same price, but a much better vehicle in the same size range. I have an '03 Escape V-6 and I am indebted to the gas companies until I get rid of it. The gas mileage stinks for such a small vehicle. The Escape is just too darn heavy at 4260 lbs. to get good mileage. The Subaru Forrester is just as responsive with its 4 cylinder engine as the V-6 in the Escape and your looking at 26 to 27 mpg with the Forrester.

Also there is no "button" to press for the 4 wheel drive in the Escape. You do nothing. The vehicle senses when the front wheel(s) are slipping and then sends a signal to rear wheels for them to engage. It's the same thing as so called "All wheel drive" vehicles. That switch on the dash only works if your speed is under 18 mph, in reality you never have to use it. I know some who only have the front wheel drive Escape and they have no problems in snow, even deep snow.

I still say get a Subaru Forrester...
tonyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 18:52   #3 (permalink)

Re: Ford Escape questions?

Thanks for your insight. Very much appreciated.
mikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum