Ford Escape - Starting Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 17:33   #1 (permalink)

Ford Escape - Starting Problems

I have read similar posts about the Ford Escape starting problems but has anyone found resolution? Has this problem been resolved? I currently am having problems with my Ford Escape starting when it's warm/hot weather or when I have been driving it for a while and then I cut it off and try to start it back up - I can't. I have been to 2 repair shops in the past week and they can't find anything wrong my my car. I think this may be a Defect in the Ford Escape. Please advise if you are experiencing the same problem or/if you have gotten this problem fixed. I have a 2003 Ford Escape Limited. My car cranks right up in Cool/Cold weather but in warm weather, it acts like it will start and it doesn't . After consistently trying to start and giving the car gas, it finally starts up. This is so frustrating. Has anyone written a letter to Ford? Let me know. Thanks guys!
janacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 17:28   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Ford Escape - Starting Problems

I'm sure Ford has the problem listed, but if it doesn't pose as a safety concern a recall probably won't be issued. A TSB might have been issued. You'll have to get the dealer to run your VIN and make sure the vehicle is up to date. If it is, you can write Ford directly about the problem and they might offer a solution that the dealer doesn't wish to disclose.

What's the mileage on the Escape? Electrical gremlins are the worst to have in any automobile. Once it starts, does the engine idle too high or too low? Is there any abnormal engine noise that wasn't present too long ago?
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 20:26   #3 (permalink)

My Escape's current mileage is 120,200 K miles. I have done all the scheduled maintenance and have taken really good care of this SUV since it was the first car that I brought brand new. There are no abnormal noises coming from the car once I get it started up. I have a mechanic who is an old timer who has worked on cars for over 40 years and he has checked the car thoroughly and can't find a problem. Everything looks good and the SUV is in good shape as far as he is concerned. He said since the car starts up most of the time, the problem is going to be difficult to diagnose. He thought it might be the fuel system but he performed a Fuel service to the car last week and it still continues to cut off when I run the car for a while in warm weather. I did experience intermittent starting problems last summer but it was maybe only a couple of times, so I didn't pay it much attention. I was fine in the winter but now that it is very warm in Charlotte, NC ~ the problems are re-occuring and more frequently now. I think it's probably a defect but I did get on Ford Just Answer and paid for a answer and I am going to give my mechanic the Ford guy's suggestions - have the fuel pump checked with a gauge because the pump may not be building up pressure correctly or to have the MAF sensor checked with a scan tool to ensure that its reading barometer pressure correctly. He also recommended a full fuel service which I have already done. I am going to try the suggested actions and I will post if this resolves my problem. I was just curious to see what happened with all of the other owners who posted who seemed to have this same type of problem. I checked already with a Dealership and there were no recalls for my SUV's VIN#....

Please post any other suggestions that you may have...Thanks!
Old 04-30-2009, 13:05   #4 (permalink)
canuck

I'd replace the spark plugs & ignition wires with a reputable brand. If this has been done in the last 35K then don't bother as it probably won't help. I believe the 100K service might have taken care of that, but sometimes dealers have their own guidelines on what to do, even more so if it was recently done in the last 'x' amount of miles.

Another thing that just popped into my mind is the starter itself. On an older 2003 GMC Savanna that I used to drive, the starter motor would bind itself against the flywheel, which turns over and starts the engine. Anyway, just before it was sold this problem was still happening. I'd turn the key with the vehicle off and in park and the vehicle had power, etc, but would not crank at all. My temporary solution was to try my best to park the vehicle on an incline and turn the key 'on'; place the transmission into neutral and let the vehicle roll and then it would start just fine. It's just a thought, perhaps your ol' timer mechanic has heard of that problem before....

The techs at Ford should be able to at least guide you in the right direction.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 21:28   #5 (permalink)

Got my car checked again at the repair shop and it's not the starter or the fuel pump. My car continues to not start consistently so I am taking it in to the Ford Dealership for a Diagnostic Test. I have been to the Repair Shop 3 times and they can't find anything wrong with my SUV. I hate to pay $100 for a test but I can't afford to be stranded with my car not starting as sit should. I used to love this SUV but I don't think that I would buy another one at this point. I will post the results so that anyone else having these same problem can review.
Old 05-12-2009, 20:05   #6 (permalink)

Thanks 360ci for all of the Suggestions. I went to the Ford Dealership today and they diagnosed the problem as IAC Valve and a clogged fuel injectors. Hope to have my car back to normal on the weekend. Thanks!@
Old 05-12-2009, 20:09   #7 (permalink)

Found out that my car needs that IAC valve replaceed and the fuel injectors clearned. So for everyone else having starting problems, you may want to get your mechanic to check for these things.
Old 10-20-2009, 22:48   #8 (permalink)

Our 2001 Escape (90000 miles) is doing exactly the same - did your solution work? We have had it in once already (I can't remember what they did right now, but it didn't work). Our car is sitting in the Ford garage at the minute with them scratching their heads.
ClaireB1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 19:28   #9 (permalink)

Claire,
Yes, getting the IAC valve replaced solved my problem. It was driving me crazy. I went to a FORD dealership and paid $90 for them to run a comprehensive test and it specifically pointed out that the IAC valve needed to be replaced. The dealership gave me a estimate of $500 to fix the problem. I went to a local Tire Kingdom and they replaced t for $190. Good Luck.

Janacita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum