Ford Self-diagnostic Mode - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 20:19   #1 (permalink)

Ford Self-diagnostic Mode

Since about the 2000 model year, Ford has incorporated a handy feature into most of their vehicles, including the Escape. It is a digital self-diagnostics mode that uses the odometer display & instrument cluster to show vehicle information.

Insert the key into the ignition switch but don't turn it (just slide it in).
Press & hold the odometer trip/reset button.
Turn the key to the accessory position while continuing to press the button, but don't start the car.
(alternatively, you can go ahead & start the car while pressing the button. I do it w the car off first, then w the car on).
The odometer display will change to something that looks like tESt in an LCD font.
Release the button when tESt appears.
When you release the button, the display changes to GAGE & the gauges will sweep to their maximum positions,
then return to their starting points.
Push & release the button to cycle thru the 50 or so different display modes.

Included in the list are battery voltage, engine rpms & coolant temperature.

If you chose to access the diagnostics mode without starting the engine, you can go ahead & start the car at any time and continue to cycle thru the various display modes: this would be handy for checking the battery (Engine-OFF/Engine-ON) & to verify that the alternator is charging it. Something you could try is to turn on all of the electrical accessories to see how well the alternator keeps up (hi-beams, wipers, rear wiper, A/C, etc.) Also, if the car seems to have an erratic idle, you can see the actual rpms displayed; go ahead & rev the engine to see a higher rpm. You could also check the engine/coolant temperature - engine OFF or engine ON. Just some neat stuff to goof around with that may provide some useful info.

Unfortunately, I don't have a list for what the various outputs mean.
One of the items is the cluster diagnostic trouble codes(dtc): these aren't OBDII codes - you'll have to contact Ford to see what they mean. Although I'm not sure, I don't believe the cluster test displays error codes that are usually accessed via a diagnostic scanning tool when troubleshooting engine problems or when the check engine light comes on.

Here's a link w pics: Mustand World - HEC Instrument Cluster Diagnostics (1999/2000)
The Escape display is different than the Mustang's.

Gotta go. I'll try to update this later.
JMK.
hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 20:31   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Ford Self-diagnostic Mode

Good Info. Thanks for posting
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:13   #3 (permalink)

Re: Ford Self-diagnostic Mode

More links:
Found A New Escape Trick!!!

Found A New Escape Trick!!! - pg 4 See reply by ove1 on 01-22-2005.
After checking the readouts on my car, the info in his post seems to match what's diplayed in my 2002 XLS 2.0 I4 5-spd.

Instrument Cluster Test Mode

Mustang World - HEC Instrument Cluster Diagnostics The info in this link is for a 99 Mustang, so some of it doesn't apply to the Escape.

Ford digital odometer instrument cluster self diagnotistics Mustang, again.

Ford HEC Dealer Test Mode pdf

PATS Troubleshooting: DIAGNOSTIC Service Tips
hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum