Ford Forums banner

Ford Self-diagnostic Mode

94K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  hurk 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since about the 2000 model year, Ford has incorporated a handy feature into most of their vehicles, including the Escape. It is a digital self-diagnostics mode that uses the odometer display & instrument cluster to show vehicle information.

• Insert the key into the ignition switch but don't turn it (just slide it in).
  • Press & hold the odometer trip/reset button.
  • Turn the key to the accessory position while continuing to press the button, but don't start the car. (alternatively, you can go ahead & start the car while pressing the button. I do it w the car off first, then w the car on).
  • The odometer display will change to something that looks like tESt in an LCD font.
  • Release the button when tESt appears.
  • When you release the button, the display changes to GAGE & the gauges will sweep to their maximum positions, then return to their starting points.
  • Push & release the button to cycle thru the 50 or so different display modes.

Included in the list are battery voltage, engine RPMs & coolant temperature.

If you chose to access the diagnostics mode without starting the engine, you can go ahead & start the car at any time and continue to cycle thru the various display modes: this would be handy for checking the battery (Engine-OFF/Engine-ON) & to verify that the alternator is charging it. Something you could try is to turn on all of the electrical accessories to see how well the alternator keeps up (hi-beams, wipers, rear wiper, A/C, etc.) Also, if the car seems to have an erratic idle, you can see the actual rpms displayed; go ahead & rev the engine to see a higher rpm. You could also check the engine/coolant temperature - engine OFF or engine ON. Just some neat stuff to goof around with that may provide some useful info.

Unfortunately, I don't have a list for what the various outputs mean.
One of the items is the cluster diagnostic trouble codes(dtc): these aren't OBDII codes - you'll have to contact Ford to see what they mean. Although I'm not sure, I don't believe the cluster test displays error codes that are usually accessed via a diagnostic scanning tool when troubleshooting engine problems or when the check engine light comes on.

Here's a link w pics: Mustand World - HEC Instrument Cluster Diagnostics (1999/2000)

The Escape display is different than the Mustang's.

Gotta go. I'll try to update this later.
JMK.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
More links:
Found A New Escape Trick!!!

Found A New Escape Trick!!! - pg 4
See reply by ove1 on 01-22-2005.
After checking the readouts on my car, the info in his post seems to match what's diplayed in my 2002 XLS 2.0 I4 5-spd.

Instrument Cluster Test Mode

Mustang World - HEC Instrument Cluster Diagnostics The info in this link is for a 99 Mustang, so some of it doesn't apply to the Escape.

Ford digital odometer instrument cluster self diagnotistics Mustang, again.

Ford HEC Dealer Test Mode pdf

PATS Troubleshooting: DIAGNOSTIC Service Tips

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.