Help Please...2004 escape...softening suspension for softer ride? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2007, 17:14   #1 (permalink)

Help Please...2004 escape...softening suspension for softer ride?

Hello everyone...

Have a 2004 escape which I am happy with, all but the stiff ride(gives me headaches)...does anyone know if the suspension can be adjusted or shocks replaced, air bags, ect...so that the ride can be less jarring and more comfortable.

Thankyou,
Byron
byron95404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2007, 06:54   #2 (permalink)

Re: Help Please...2004 escape...softening suspension for softer ride?

Byron,
Try letting out some air from the tyres.

The recommended pressure is 32psi, however for general suburban driving I have lowered mine to 28psi - and seems to make a big difference on the stiffness of the drive. At this pressure the tyre looks like its "sagging" at the road surface, and you might find you get less ware out of your tyres - but at least your ride will be softer !

In the wet, having slightly less tyre pressure also gives you better grip too.

When I picked up my 2004 Escape Ltd from the dealer (new), they had inflated the tyre pressure up to 42psi ! - when I was driving home, I noticed a very firm/stiff ride. SO I pulled up to a service station to check the tyres, and there it was 42 !. I originaly lowered them down to 32, and the ride improved dramatically, however when I reduced them further to 28 - I got an even softer ride.

Let me know how you go ....

br's
James
Old 11-12-2007, 16:34   #3 (permalink)
canuck

If you want to go softer ride and you get bored playing with tires. A slightly more expensive way to go is to upgrade the shocks. OE shocks on most vehicles aren't that great since they're made with quantity over quality in mind. Koni offers adjustable shocks. Other descent shock manufacturers are KYB and Monroe. Bilstein brand offers a descent ride if you carry several people around, luggage or tow.

Personally, I wouldn't run tires below 30psi for safety. Even in the slush and snow, soft tires will reduce your braking distance and have a greater tendancy to wobble. Stay within 5psi of the maximum rated tire pressure and you'll not only get a descent ride for those tires (all tires are not created equal either!), but you'll get maximum tread life out of the tires.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:05   #4 (permalink)
New England toolmaker

I replaced the shocks that came with my escape with OEM replacement Monro's and the ride is stiffer
yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum