Ford Forums banner

How many miles do you have on your Escapes, and How many Problems have you Had?

30K views 25 replies 25 participants last post by  Tithulta 
#1 ·
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->We have an 03 Tribute (Same as the Escape) with 25K miles on it, and no major problems thus far. My wife likes the new Escapes, and we're thinking about a new one next year.

Just wondering how many miles you guys have on your Escapes, and how many Problems have you had over all. Basically, a long term reliability question.

Thank you,.....marc
<!-- / message -->

#4 ·
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->We have an 03 Tribute (Same as the Escape) with 25K miles on it, and no major problems thus far. My wife likes the new Escapes, and we're thinking about a new one next year.

Just wondering how many miles you guys have on your Escapes, and how many Problems have you had over all. Basically, a long term reliability question.

Thank you,.....marc
<!-- / message -->

I have 2006 Escape manual transmission, now 45000 miles . Not real problems but issues with the cluth.Otherwise all is fine.

#5 ·
I have an '05 XLT 3.0 FWD with 82,000 miles. I've had zero issues with this car. I love it. I didn't care for the OE Continental tires, but have just replaced them at 80,000 miles and put on BF Goodrich Longtrails. What a difference. I expect to get another 80k out of these.

#25 ·
You'll have good luck with the Longtrail tires! I have a set on my Durango, put on 35K in three years with some towing and they look close to new! I'll probably push 100K out of them...

#6 ·
288,000 on a '04 5-speed bought new and 80,000 on a recently aquired '06 V6.
The '04 is great, had to replace an alternator, which may have been my fault as I was arcing across the terminals while using an oil filter wrench to get the filter off. Had clutch problems (on-going) like felixtoka. Broke a couple of motor mount studs probably related to shuddering from clutch.
The '06 is OK (lousy gas mileage). The Continental tires as mentioned by k9byte are quite bad and should be replaced.
I bought the '06 because the new Escapes have stability control, mandatory ABS, and other needless complexities that make them hard and expensive to fix. The beauty of my '04 is that it's simple and uncluttered. I think thast's part of why it has lasted so long.

#8 ·

Thank you,.....marc
<!-- / message -->
Marc:
Have a 2009 Escape Hybrid, have a few posts here on the forums you can read if you wish. It now has just under 7000 miles, yes, it is a baby, and have not had any issue except for getting the navigation system updated. It has been back to the dealer for two oil changes, and one tire rotation, I have not been charged a cent yet. The start of September I will take it in for it's third oil change. I do it every six months, needed or not. There it is, I do hope you enjoy your vehicles at least as much as I have this Escape - so far.
:hit:

#9 ·
Our 2007 Escape daily driver goes out of warranty in October. Only issue we've had has been difficulty with windshield wipers. Several sets of wiper blades -- OEM -- have failed / come apart. And a month ago the wiper arm itself BROKE...snapped in two. Dealership has had no insight into causes, but of course has replaced all items. Other than that, the Escape has been problem-free.

#10 ·
We have a 2005 Escape, 2.3 litre, automatic transmission, 60,000 miles. As others said I did not like the OE tires, just changed them out for some Hercules. Put front brake pads on @ 50,000 miles. Bought the Escape in early 2007 and have an extended warrantee, but have had no repairs. The wife loves it. :hy:

#11 ·
on my '08 FWD Hybrid i just passed 52k.

i love the car and appreciate that it has totally changed my driving habits. on a recent trip from Manassas to Bristol TN i got 33.5 going down and 35 mpg coming home, all while doing the speed limit.

no repairs - just waiting for the tires to wear out so i can replace them with something quieter.

i do lust after some of the new techno stuff like Bluetooth etc.

VERY PLEASED.

#12 ·
2003XLT - just getting to 69K miles. Problems are/were few:

Lousy brakes and rotors replaced at ~22K - now have Hawk pads and Brembo rotors that show mimimal wear 47K later.

Replaced the EGR solenoid at ~30K

Replaced the roaring Conti tires at the same time as the brakes and rotors. The new ones are almost as bad - :BW:

The LF hub has been rumbling for ~40K miles. A Ford mech said leave it alone until it really growls.

Gets 16mpg local driving 24mpg open road with the V6.

Gets an oil and filter change with Motorcraft 5w-20 and an FL820 every 5K or whenever it needs a quart which is 6K miles.

The steering column squeaks and something in the back creaks - and has since new.

My wife's DD and she loves it:thup:(good thing - she doesn't like driving my DD - an F350 Super Crew)

#13 ·
We've got an '01 XLT we bought new. Has 110K on it now, and problems have been minimal. We had to replace the LF strut bushing about a year ago, and it needs to be replaced again. We also replaced the LF wheel bearing recently. It's my wife's DD, and she loves it. Plans on keeping it until our son (who is 9) starts driving, and we'll pass it on to him.

#14 ·
2002 with about 130000
no trouble except for the 6 disc cd quit working and have maintained it myself and the daughter drives it now.

2008 Hybrid about 40000 and no issues at all and the wife drives it mostly.
I'm not in love with the CVT trans on road trips but for in town you can't beat it.
Love both of them and looking for another one with 4x4 right now.

#15 ·
I have a 2008 Mariner with 30000 and had a few, the radiator leaked transmission fluid, one of the rear back up sensors quit and I had to have a blend door operator replaced in the climate control. Yes the Continental Tires are noisy, but in the snow they rock, have 4X2 and I can keep up with 4X4's

#16 ·
I have an 09 Limited V6 with 33,000 I bought it new I drive approx 80 to 100 miles a day to work and back and I have had no issues at all. " I LOVE MY ESCAPE" I had driven a Chevy Blazer for the past 10 + years but decided to change over to the Ford Escape last year with all the issues Chevy was having and haven't regreted one moment.

#17 ·
Presently I have a 2008 Escape Limited with 60K miles. Only problem was the trans cooler leaked at 40K and dearler replaced it free of charge. I LOVE IT. Had a 2005 Escape with 50K and no problems at all, sold it becasue I liked the look of the newer models. When the time comes will buy another new Escape or the Edge. Great vehice is the Escape. FORD #1.

#18 ·
2002 XLT 4X4 118,000 miles
Sunroof switch is getting shakey.
The 6CD player is done.
Replaced one lower control arm (bushing)
Replaced one front wheel bearing
Replaced one tie rod
Replaced both sway bar links
Those tires drove me crazy.
Normal oil and brakes.
Rear wiper arm is messed-up and can't get it off the wiper motor.
Strange noise in rear hatch fixed under warranty... twice.
Headlights were terrible for brightness.... replaced with Sylvania.
Repaced one Coil. (replacing a second one now)
There's probably a couple more things I've forgotten....

But it's fantastic in snow, and hauls a nice load. And it's so cute.
Easy to drive and park. Not ready to give it up yet.... maybe in another 50,000 miles.

#22 ·
2006 escape xlt 4wd115k miles... replaced alt @ 85k tires are all messed up with cupping( bad alignment )... shorted wire under the battery box blanked the computer....noisy inside the cabin with worn tires, speaker went bad in door replaced with better ones...some rust under the bottom door edges..love the car overall.........

#23 ·
2006 hybrid 70,000. Power steering control module was replaced. Steering has had a bad squeaking rubbing noise, was in the shop a couple times and they said they fixed it both times. :) Think it's gone, for now. A squeaking noise from the back area while moving at all speeds. Sounds like a couple of pieces of styrofoam rubbing. Rear brake pads need to be replaced but the front has over twice the pad thickness still left, go figure.

#24 ·
Here is what happened at the 6month Oil Change of our 2009 Escape Hybrid. Everything went fine, once again, I sure hope this is the story for as long as we have the vehicle:) I paid for this one, and they wanted to replace the air filters for the "cabin" and "HV Battery," I had it done, the whole thing came up to just under $65.00, and if you have it, that's not bad at today prices. Am giving serious thoughts to going to synthetic oil at next oil change, if I do, I hope they flush the engine very well of the old stuff, prior to putting in the synthetic. Still, no real issues except for the past navigation upgrades, however, I got a notice from this last time about a new upgrade, and ordered the discs and did it.
Really a shame about the Continental tires, but, those tires have been the pits on many brands, I think they are or were nylon based, and would harden in colder weather, and would wear in spots resulting in bumpy/noisy rides, seems to me Goodyear made them. If any new owners can afford it get rid of them, or when buying a new car make it part of the deal that the dealership replace those tires with something good.:hit:

#26 ·
2001 Escape XLT
Love it. With Issues.
Engine designer should be shot for putting the intake on top of the rear coil packs.
I've replaced #1,2,and 3 over the last 3 or 4 years. Now #1 is throwing a code again. Getting ready to replace all 3 before leaving for vacation Sat afternoon.

Original Trany died about 115k, exploded really on my wife on her way down the interstate to work. Something the size of my fist exited through the transmission housing...got lucky an insurance replaced it.

Sunroof arm broke so is now non-functioning, plan to replace it at some point this summer.

Bought it almost new with 40k~, in all I'd buy it again, in the next 2-3 years will purchase either a new escape or an Edge, most likely the Edge since it really the wifes car. I still drive a 96 Ranger with 260k...yes original, except the transmission, it's been replaced a few times now( mail routes are brutal)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.