Ford Forums banner

How to remove OEM rocker panels on '09 Limited

10K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
We own a 2010 XLT & 2009 Limited; the '10 has OEM step bars (running boards) while the '09 has the OEM plastic rocker panels. Both are V6 w/auto.

I want to swap the '10 step bars to the '09...everything I've found so far says anything between 2008-2010 will work. Reason: I'm taller, my shin hits the step bars messing up my dress clothes. My wife is short, she loved the step bars she used to have on her '04 Escape XLT.

She wants mine, I don't want them. I tried to simply trade her vehicles, but she like all the goodies on the Limited. (Leather, 6xCD, reverse sensors, etc.)

My problem is that when I tried to remove the rocker panels, I wasn't clear on how to safely remove them. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined; I used to do all my own car maintenance until I got to where I could afford new cars. Honestly, I'm just trying to be cautious. I'm looking for step-by-step instructions that will help me identify how to remove the rocker panels.

Otherwise, I will need to have a shop do it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
You'll have to find a way to get under the vehicle. The plastic (moulded) ones are more than likely screwed into the frame. The 'bars' that are below the rocker panels are probably bolted to the frame. It should be a fairly easy job. You might need a second set of hands. You of course WILL NEED good access to the underbody of the vehicle. Worst case, is that you might have to remove the wheel well liners (hard black plastic, generally held in by plastic clips) to gain access to some of the bolts/screws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.