Ford Forums banner

knocking noise on a 2011 Ford Escape

6K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ibra0078 
#1 ·
Hoping someone here can shed some lights on this issue and I will keep this short as this has been going on over a year. I had 3 different dealerships involved and Ford Canada and still issue has not been resolved. Started last year when I make a yield right turn going about 40km+ and applying the brakes I hear this knocking noise coming from the driver side. 3 different Dealerships looked at this issue and could not find what the issue was, they could replicated but didnt know why its happening. They ended up replacing both stabilizer links and both struts and that didn't resolve anything. I changed my rotors and pads in May and the sound went away for 2 months and came back. I looked under the vehicle to check to see if there is any shinny metal indicating its rubbing but nothing. I'm thinking it must be something with the caliper, I would want to say its a brake issue because if I do the same turn and not apply the brake there is no sound. I have included a video to show you guys the knocking noise.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6mbp2gdtb...706_165003.mp4 -- happens at 10-11secs
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gy2cr3377j...706_165715.mp4 -- happens at 13-14secs

#3 ·
Every once and a while I relube the pins and the noise goes away for about a week. I just relubed them today and did a test drive and it's gone for now but it will come after a week. Is it possible that it's drying out that fast? When I took them out today they came out pretty easy so they were not seized.

#8 ·
Will check the kind I am using exactly. I'm going to remove the tire again tomorrow and take off the anti seize that I used on the pins yesterday as I read on the forums not to use that as it will get hard capaired to silicon. I wonder too if I have a bad caliper, boots are in working condition no tare. What I notice on these escapes is the slider guide pins are not fully covered. Most brakes I do on different models the pin slides right into the boot but on the escapes the boots are on the caliper and not the caliper mounting bracket, hence when installing the pins into the boot the end of the pins is showing and exposed to dirt and rocks. Will take a picture for you guys to show you guys what I mean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.